La Jolla, PB ,SD, La Costa, Poway ,Julian
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Early Axcelspring Skateboards 50's-70's

GSK8

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Team Silverfish Order of the 'Fish EBasil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Early Axcelspring Skateboards 50's-70's

Well, the first one there on the left looks like a roller skate with an extension bar in the middle. Isn't that what it is?

The "Hooker Header" board is pretty interesting! Is that setup designed to allow the trucks to slide toward the end of the board as the board flexes? It's a 'glas deck, right?
    Relax, Don't Worry, Ride Your Longboard.

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna GriffinSk8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    Well, the first one there on the left looks like a roller skate with an extension bar in the middle. Isn't that what it is?

The "Hooker Header" board is pretty interesting! Is that setup designed to allow the trucks to slide toward the end of the board as the board flexes? It's a 'glas deck, right?
    The Hooker has a adjustable tension system.
    So you can make the spring tighter or looser with the flex of the fiber glass board.
    The 50's board is a home made board with a roller skate but I have never seen one with a bar in the middle.
    It is a crude set up but it shows how it would work later.
    There is one more from 1973 but I have never seen one in person.
    I do not even know if it was made.
    Turner made one built inside the board in the later yours.
    GSK8

Post Thanks / Like

the hooker boards looked awesome for the time. i think that is the first skateboard I ever saw in a magazine, aside from Christmas catalogs. and it was in superstock or Hotrod or some other car magazine. I swear, every one I see on the internet looks a little bit different. Also, not all of the hookers had the traction/tension system. I read somewhere on line years ago that Steve and Micke Alba's dad either worked for hooker Headers or a supplier that had access to the Hooker Boards.

I would love to have one. They appear on ebay time to time, but are usually trashed beyond desire to restore, missing the parts, or very expensive.
    My comments represent a selfishly one sided 1970's skateboarder mindset, and do not reflect the current fashion-skate-lifestyle industry's views.

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna GriffinSk8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rawls View Post
    the hooker boards looked awesome for the time. i think that is the first skateboard I ever saw in a magazine, aside from Christmas catalogs. and it was in superstock or Hotrod or some other car magazine. I swear, every one I see on the internet looks a little bit different. Also, not all of the hookers had the traction/tension system. I read somewhere on line years ago that Steve and Micke Alba's dad either worked for hooker Headers or a supplier that had access to the Hooker Boards.

I would love to have one. They appear on ebay time to time, but are usually trashed beyond desire to restore, missing the parts, or very expensive.
    I know it has taken me four years to get this one and I was happy to pay the same amount as a new skateboard of today for it.
    Hooker was way ahead of there time sometimes there are
    skateboards that are from the 70's that still are as modern as some skateboards of today.
    GSK8

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS