ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Retro skateboards/first longboards?

so i'm wondering, what to call the boards in this vid, and where i could get my hands on ones like those, or something close? was thinking along the lines of an LBL humu? suggestion?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQi8wEHMm5Y]YouTube - YOUTH GROUP: Forever Young[/ame]

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Retro skateboards/first longboards?

Those are probably old-school skateboards, not mini's.

Sorry I don't have more contribute, but I wanted to say thanks for the song!

Addicted Cruiser wreckreationalskater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can vouch for the LBL Humu. It is a fantastic old school style board that will do almost whatever you want/need it to do.

Cool video by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wreckreationalskater View Post
    I can vouch for the LBL Humu. It is a fantastic old school style board that will do almost whatever you want/need it to do.

Cool video by the way.
    haha no big man, it's an awesome song. was watching the O.C and they used the song and it reminded me. hm alright, i'm deff gonna consider it. ne other mini/retro esque boards on the market you know of though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N5omnia View Post
    so i'm wondering, what to call the boards in this vid, and where i could get my hands on ones like those, or something close? was thinking along the lines of an LBL humu? suggestion?

YouTube - YOUTH GROUP: Forever Young
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...ge-50s-up.html
    Also, Check out the re-issue Sims Pure Juice boards.
    Sims Skateboards Sims Pure Juice 27" Re-Issue Complete Skateboard 7.25x27

Addicted Cruiser wreckreationalskater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha no big man, it's an awesome song. was watching the O.C and they used the song and it reminded me. hm alright, i'm deff gonna consider it. ne other mini/retro esque boards on the market you know of though?
    None that I am aware of but then again I am just getting back into the longboarding community so I'm sure there are a quite a few that I don't know about. I'll bet a better informed skater would be willing to help you find out though!

Longskateaholic explosiononwheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, are you interested only in retro-style minis, or minis altogether? I would highly HIGHLY recommend the Earthwing Miniglider to anyone wanting a hybrid of a skate/longboard. It's cheap, it's well-made, can be ollied, slid, flipped, and everything in between.

Even though I'm more for longer, flexier boards, my Miniglider is almost always my go-to board for some fun tight cruising and carving like retro skaters used to, especially since the tail can help simulate that old-school surfy feel.

Any other specifications or preferences from a board? Material, flex, length, concave? What would you be using it for primarily?
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenm87 View Post
    Subjective and overly analyzed. We can move forward from this and not care what people call certain length decks. Every thread you post has this long rant about verb, noun what to call it, but who cares because people will call it as they see it, so stop trying to convince people that a shorter deck with reverse kingpin trucks and fat wheels is not a longboard, because I know for one I will be calling it that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YouTube - YOUTH GROUP: Forever Young
    Also, check out:

Tailtap: Tunnel Skateboards
    Socal Skateshop: Tunnel Skateboards

Z-Flex Skateboards:
    http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?...uct_list&c=147

Edit: The LBL is also a good option.
    Last edited by D Nice; 03-29-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Addicted Cruiser SpencerMorganPhoto's Avatar
    The Ocean, desert, airplanes, taking it to a new level is my hobby.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so... alva still makes boards, definitely has re-issues of old 70's shapes. Z-flex has a re-issue out of a '76 shape that is awesome. There are plenty of boards out there really similar to old school shapes. if you want to get really stickler about it then go to a goodwill or thrift store of that nature. They almost always have old roller skates. Get them, bust the wheels off the bottom like people used to do back in the day and then you got your trucks! next you need a board. I think its a bit more interesting to shape your own board. At any hardware store you can get some cool sizes. Some will look a bit thick but they give the board a tiny bit of flex and make them stronger. I recommend doing that. I have 6 boards right now that I have done that way. Used a 2x4 for one. Its awesome.

there is also always the bennett vector trucks that are amazing. riding them is like heaven. And alligator wheels, seismic 3dm cambria's, or the abec 11 bertz are a sweet wheel to put on them.

have fun with it! classic boards are the best! oh also, the humu is cool but if you are going with a classic style deck get an upturned kicktail. You wont regret it
    Last edited by SpencerMorganPhoto; 03-29-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    WWW.SPENCERMORGANPHOTO.COM

Kurtis Thompson - "Original is just mad at the world because the mega ramp didnt fit in brian bishops asshole."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMorganPhoto View Post
    so... alva still makes boards, definitely has re-issues of old 70's shapes. Z-flex has a re-issue out of a '76 shape that is awesome. There are plenty of boards out there really similar to old school shapes. if you want to get really stickler about it then go to a goodwill or thrift store of that nature. They almost always have old roller skates. Get them, bust the wheels off the bottom like people used to do back in the day and then you got your trucks! next you need a board. I think its a bit more interesting to shape your own board. At any hardware store you can get some cool sizes. Some will look a bit thick but they give the board a tiny bit of flex and make them stronger. I recommend doing that. I have 6 boards right now that I have done that way. Used a 2x4 for one. Its awesome.

there is also always the bennett vector trucks that are amazing. riding them is like heaven. And alligator wheels, seismic 3dm cambria's, or the abec 11 bertz are a sweet wheel to put on them.

have fun with it! classic boards are the best!
    hm old roller skates eh? so thattts how they did it. was thinking of making my own actually, bc i bought a tan tien for christmas and idt my rents want me blowing more money on like a legit board ne time soon. so jus go to a hardware store and get some 2X4's ur saying?

Addicted Cruiser SpencerMorganPhoto's Avatar
    The Ocean, desert, airplanes, taking it to a new level is my hobby.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm old roller skates eh? so thattts how they did it. was thinking of making my own actually, bc i bought a tan tien for christmas and idt my rents want me blowing more money on like a legit board ne time soon. so jus go to a hardware store and get some 2X4's ur saying?
    yeah man a 2x4 will do it, cut it to whatever shape you want, sand it down, i would just screw trucks into the bottom rather than drill super deep holes and then have to find really long hardware. ive known so many guys that have made at least 1 throughout their skating career. come to think of it... if you dont make one it will be a shame! make a 2x4 deck for cruising!!! in fact... im going to make one tomorrow! but there are also some cool sizes for a bit bigger boards too and you can find it at any hardware store. I like using pieces that are a bit thicker than a normal piece of play wood. Ply would will break, but the thick stuff wont and it will give you a little flex!

but yeah, old roller skates will do it! they have the trucks already on there too. they only have 1 bushing per truck too. Strange but it works and its the O.G. way to do it. Also, if you get a set of roller skates you will have enough for two boards. When you break the bottom part off the roller skate you have to saw it in half or do whatever you can to get it into two pieces. Its not that tough. then just screw it in.

watch lords of dogtown and get stoked the eff out. Then go bomb some hills on one of those boards. such a rush, so sketch but way fun. Im getting so much more into it lately for some reason. I love it.
    WWW.SPENCERMORGANPHOTO.COM

Kurtis Thompson - "Original is just mad at the world because the mega ramp didnt fit in brian bishops asshole."

Concrete Kahuna urbanasultvehicleuav's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first skate boards, its all skateboards, you ride skateboards

those are just real old school check out the landyachtz dingy for a similar style of board
    Albuquerque city lights never looked so bright I-25 you stole my heart tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by maxearing View Post
    i can slide them but i need alot of speed just for a coleman
    edit i slid my friends tan tien with slide a's and they are alot smother

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urbanasultvehicleuav View Post
    first skate boards, its all skateboards, you ride skateboards

those are just real old school check out the landyachtz dingy for a similar style of board

idk, i like to distinguish between longboarding and skateboarding(albeit similar, if not the same) because everything involving a deck, trucks and wheels is stereotyped against and stuff in my town. so i try being different

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMorganPhoto View Post
    yeah man a 2x4 will do it, cut it to whatever shape you want, sand it down, i would just screw trucks into the bottom rather than drill super deep holes and then have to find really long hardware. ive known so many guys that have made at least 1 throughout their skating career. come to think of it... if you dont make one it will be a shame! make a 2x4 deck for cruising!!! in fact... im going to make one tomorrow! but there are also some cool sizes for a bit bigger boards too and you can find it at any hardware store. I like using pieces that are a bit thicker than a normal piece of play wood. Ply would will break, but the thick stuff wont and it will give you a little flex!

but yeah, old roller skates will do it! they have the trucks already on there too. they only have 1 bushing per truck too. Strange but it works and its the O.G. way to do it. Also, if you get a set of roller skates you will have enough for two boards. When you break the bottom part off the roller skate you have to saw it in half or do whatever you can to get it into two pieces. Its not that tough. then just screw it in.

watch lords of dogtown and get stoked the eff out. Then go bomb some hills on one of those boards. such a rush, so sketch but way fun. Im getting so much more into it lately for some reason. I love it.
    hmm mkayyy. awesomeee, i'm getting stoked jus thinking about making one of these. my biggest problem is finding some vintage rollerkates to scrap>.< we have some pawn shops around im gonna check. i might also buy a retro off ebay for ten bucks jus to mess with. i'm so making one of these once i get the materials. so you jus shape the 2X4 and then sand it, but do you keep it the original width? i feel like thats gonna be really thick?:s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be interested in Griffinsk8's thread:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...-building.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. Why do you want one of those?

Chill song though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those trucks are so short. Balance must have sucked.

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna GriffinSk8's Avatar
    La Jolla, PB ,SD, La Costa, Poway ,Julian
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D Nice View Post
    You might be interested in Griffinsk8's thread:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...-building.html
    It can be done if you are willing to spend the $$
    GSK8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I don't know. Why do you want one of those?

Chill song though.
    meh jus for some fun, with a nostalgic feel. it'd be a fun little project and stuff, instead of jus buying like an LBL humu. which i still might do later. yes, veryy chill indeed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GriffinSk8 View Post
    It can be done if you are willing to spend the $$
    GSK8
    how much $$ are we talking?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS