ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie in Vancouver, Downtown

Hi, brand new here, been surfing in Hawaii several times and recent just decided that I want to get into longboarding. Nothing crazy, just as a means of travelling from point a to point b and maybe some cruising and stuff. Can anyone recommend some reputable stores where I can invest in my first board? And advices and suggestions for a rookie?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie in Vancouver, Downtown

Coast Longboarding
    also craigslist is your friend if you want to spend $80-150 for a reasonable quality used complete. if you want to spend more than that just go to the landyachtz store by chinatown/commercial drive.
    if you go the CL route, take it to landyachtz anyways & get new bushings (that suit your weight) / bearings (most peoples bearings are garbage).

Post Thanks / Like

Rayne Longboards is just a seabus ride away also.

If you can, try asking around on the forum about a good board for you (there's a dedicated thread)
    A good place to order a new board/ or any other components is Switchbacklongboards. They have pretty good customer service and shipping shouldn't take too long.
    And free shipping over $25, which is pretty solid.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're in van, good luck keeping your skate habit at just pushing around from point A to point B. I dare you, learn a standup slide and see if you can resist the addiction from there...
    get buck

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, rayne's ok if you're set on one of their boards, but their selection of parts (bushings, trucks, wheels, risers, bearings, grip) is pretty sh***y. landyachtz is more of a longboard skate shop. rayne's more like a car dealership.
    i can vouch for switchback if you don't mind the whole "delayed gratification" thing (delayed meaning 2days to vancouver). awesome selection & service. full retail price, though... CL FTW! dirtbag sk8rs unite!

Post Thanks / Like

^
    I heard that Rayne recently expanded their shop or something, I haven't got a clue what it's like though unfortunately, never been.
    haha and ordering from switchback means you don't have to go out and get them yourself though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dango View Post
    ^
    I heard that Rayne recently expanded their shop or something, I haven't got a clue what it's like though unfortunately, never been.
    haha and ordering from switchback means you don't have to go out and get them yourself though!
    The new Rayne factory is sick, no more 2x4 board storage, the physical 'factory' moved out of the way, and the 'shop' expanded down the middle of the building.. Looks a hell of a lot prettier, and there's actually room to move around in too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinghamster View Post
    I love the way the brown stain looks!

Originally Posted by ChrisChaput
    Do you TRY to sound this stupid, or does it just come naturally to you?

Post Thanks / Like

I got a dropped deck speed board, is it virtually impossible to ollie or hop a curd due to the dropped deck and the leverage? And I think my wheels are too soft to do much sliding without much speed... I.e., pushing from A to B.

My wife wants to learn, anyone know if there are classes around town? Thanks a lot in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canknucklehead View Post
    I got a dropped deck speed board, is it virtually impossible to ollie or hop a curd due to the dropped deck and the leverage? And I think my wheels are too soft to do much sliding without much speed... I.e., pushing from A to B.

My wife wants to learn, anyone know if there are classes around town? Thanks a lot in advance!
    Unless you have/make a kicktail on the back of your board, busting an ollie will be a challenge. Chances are your wheels are fine for drifts and such, just break em in first by going at a reasonable speed down a gradient and busting whatever stuff you know (protip: not many people can look pretty while breaking in some types of wheels, just go for it and ride it out).

post on Coast perhaps? also- tomorrow night is parkades, we meet at 8pm at the Vancouver Art Gallery by the fountain, come on out and bring layers, gloves and a helmet! This is weekly, sometimes we get a 25+ turnout on dry days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canknucklehead View Post

Unless you have/make a kicktail on the back of your board, busting an ollie will be a challenge. Chances are your wheels are fine for drifts and such, just break em in first by going at a reasonable speed down a gradient and busting whatever stuff you know (protip: not many people can look pretty while breaking in some types of wheels, just go for it and ride it out).

post on Coast perhaps? also- tomorrow night is parkades, we meet at 8pm at the Vancouver Art Gallery by the fountain, come on out and bring layers, gloves and a helmet! This is weekly, sometimes we get a 25+ turnout on dry days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Severus View Post

My brother and I came out to ride with you guys last week and it was amazing I'm Steven with the small board and double kingpin trucks, my brother is the one with that behemoth of a board haha. Was definitely the most fun riding I've done since I moved here, lost you guys by the end though trying to keep up lol

Looking forwards to seeing you guys next week!

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS