ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Churchill mfg: the lost longboard templates found and uncut pressed blanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Petri View Post
    Where do you get the 15mm x 60"x60" pre-pressed birch?
    You can get it from Anderson Trading in Anaheim, CA or Allied Veneer too. Make sure it's 100% solid Russian Baltic Birch Veneers.
    Troy

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Capo di Tutti Posto stringtheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Churchill mfg: the lost longboard templates found and uncut pressed blanks!

Quote Originally Posted by warco View Post
    Right on stringtheory! That's killer you remember that article. I have been helping Michael Brooke a bit with articles here and there like "tech talk" and "wheel secrets revealed".
    Thanks for the post. We have been making boards for a long time but spend more time reading the fish than contributing. Hopefully we can ad some cool stuff and resources to the forum.

Awesome! That is one of my fave all time articles from the past few years. I love getting all dorked up in the manufacturing end of things.

Looking forward to seeing more of you guys on the Fish!!
    eastcoastcoreskates.com
    Questions? Contact Us
    Follow us on Twitter! ECC Twitter Follow us on Facebook! ECC Facebook

Addicted Cruiser mrlongboardude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait a second....this is crazy, you are selling these cut shapes for $38??? then all I have to do is sand, paint, grip and ride it???
    ABEC11_INDEPENDENT_EARTHWING_SECTOR9
    Quote Originally Posted by Whereisnumnum View Post
    Now take that and multiply it by jesus and that's how high i am right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongboardude View Post
    wait a second....this is crazy, you are selling these cut shapes for $38??? then all I have to do is sand, paint, grip and ride it???
    for sure. They are super easy to make. The computer really does all the work. We have made loads of "flatties" over the years. Not really trying to get rich on 'em just wanted to offer something back and you guys can sand, stain, paint or whatever to finish the boards out.

Just threw a bunch of these flat boards at the spray booth so I'll offer some finished ones for an extra ten bux ($48 plus ship of course) and then there's no labor to invest in finishing except for adding some artwork to the bottom....

Here's a shot of a lacquered and finished out 15mm flatty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so im a little confused i understand that your selling blank pressed decks. but ar you selling just pressed wood and template printouts? or pressed and shaped decks that are (technically) ready to mount?
    If it's got a skirt or wheels I'm down to ride it.

if you really want to know what my quiver is just go to my albums.
    Originally Posted by urbanasultvehicleuav:
    ya only the cool kids slide soft wheels...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what ive gathered:

Troy (warco) is selling :FOR SALE:
    Canadian Hardrock Maple pressed blanks available in 2-3 weeks from today;
    9ply 12"x47" concave taco mold UNCUT deck made in the US = $39 (USA 48 ship only) quantity discounts apply
    9ply 12"x47" 3/4" drop down concave UNCUT deck made in the us = $39 (USA 48 ship only) quantity discounts apply
    Blowout: CNC cut 15mm unfinished birch decks, they need sanding and spraying = $38 each (USA 48 ship only) available in shapes ST16 through ST30

the templates are free
    he is selling blanks, and uncut/unshaped blanks as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoked2skate View Post
    so im a little confused i understand that your selling blank pressed decks. but ar you selling just pressed wood and template printouts? or pressed and shaped decks that are (technically) ready to mount?
    ya this thread is a little unorganized. Mainly I wanted to offer up some of my shapes for anyone to use and realized that I can also offer;

1) Pressed maple uncut blanks (which I will stock more of if there is some interest)
    2) Some of the template shapes already machined out of flat 11ply russian birch.

The templates I posted above will work for any board (flat, concave, drop through, rocker, camber or?) and can be easily modified to something even better.

This is a bad photo of a couple of old uncut blanks like what I am going to offer.
    I have three house molds right now and I'll post pics, samples and specs soon.
    I will post better picks as I get a chance to take 'em

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should say, that I will throw in for sale finished, molded concave drop throughs and a pretty sic drop down - drop through in the near future that will be ready to mount.
    As soon as we get a few more finished up, I'll post 'em.

It'll get more organized as we go, I hope.
    Troy

Addicted Cruiser mrlongboardude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, this is sweet!! I might have to buy one of these... (21 and 27) sorry if Im misunderstanding things, but the $38 decks are flat, but would you consider starting to sell decks with concave? I wonder if you could either carve out some concave or add some on...
    ABEC11_INDEPENDENT_EARTHWING_SECTOR9
    Quote Originally Posted by Whereisnumnum View Post
    Now take that and multiply it by jesus and that's how high i am right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im jealous of your presses

anyways, subbed, these blanks could save me a lot of time spent prototyping.
    Masters Longboards EastCoastCoreSkates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just wanted to chime in here and say that Troy IS the real deal.
    He had a shop in Pacific Beach in the early 2000's.
    The ENTIRE place was filled with racks of longboards.
    I was shocked.
    Stolen Boards - one of his companies actually advertised in the 2nd issue of CW.
    that was NINE years ago.

I am glad you're discovering what I have known for sometime: we have a treasure-trove of great information with Mr. Churchill.

The more I find out, the more I realize I know very little!
    Concretewavemagazine.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... I'm blown away by this guys. Keep up the good work and expect to get an order from me in the near future. I would love to get my girlfriend a nice customizable (and inexpensive!) deck for her to learn on!
    Soda Factory
    Grandpa's Sporting Wood

Concrete Kahuna footballplayerchris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongboardude View Post
    wow, this is sweet!! I might have to buy one of these... (21 and 27) sorry if Im misunderstanding things, but the $38 decks are flat, but would you consider starting to sell decks with concave? I wonder if you could either carve out some concave or add some on...
    I second this. I saw in your pictures that the uncut pieces had concave but all your blanks have no concave? Imma confused...
    Quote Originally Posted by tuarenbeard View Post
    get chicks, make babies, teach em to board.. and so on.
    Quiver:

Drang Dancer 60 #001 - The first 60" dancer made by Drang
    Earthwing Scavenger
    Churchill Squaretail
    Earthwing Hoopty 34

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footballplayerchris View Post
    I second this. I saw in your pictures that the uncut pieces had concave but all your blanks have no concave? Imma confused...
    yes, for now we are not cutting out the pressed blanks into shapes. We don't sell enough of them to make it worth while to do a run. I do cut out OEM orders for other brands but prefer just to press and let you guys cut them out if they serve a purpose. Plus there are some pretty sic finished decks on the fish already like Clutch and Jati.

The boards that I do cut out are super easy since I just use flat baltic birch. We just throw the wood on the CNC and cut away. With the pressed boards we have to fixture a vacuum mold to the table and program a 3D file to cut and profile. It is only profitable for larger orders and we don't have a big name for selling boards under our own brand. Sorry for the confusion. I know this could be way easier.

The flat cutout boards (noncaves to me) are what I like to ride and it's more for fun than money. I get to play around with shapes and designs without having to spend hours programming and making fixtures. The other thing is that I really like flat boards and birch. That's what longboards were made from in the beginning and not too many factories want to work with it any more.

Even though Churchill is known for street and pool decks, I have been longboarding since 1993 and making longboards since '98 for many brands and have owned at one time, bareback, freeride, stolen and some other worthless names... So order up some pressed uncuts and grab a template to cut out some sic dropthroughs and dropdowns. I still make LAX boards but it's not worth evening mentioning.

Hook up a "noncave" to stain and lacquer.

Concrete Kahuna footballplayerchris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warco View Post
    yes, for now we are not cutting out the pressed blanks into shapes. We don't sell enough of them to make it worth while to do a run. I do cut out OEM orders for other brands but prefer just to press and let you guys cut them out if they serve a purpose. Plus there are some pretty sic finished decks on the fish already like Clutch and Jati.

The boards that I do cut out are super easy since I just use flat baltic birch. We just throw the wood on the CNC and cut away. With the pressed boards we have to fixture a vacuum mold to the table and program a 3D file to cut and profile. It is only profitable for larger orders and we don't have a big name for selling boards under our own brand. Sorry for the confusion. I know this could be way easier.

The flat cutout boards (noncaves to me) are what I like to ride and it's more for fun than money. I get to play around with shapes and designs without having to spend hours programming and making fixtures. The other thing is that I really like flat boards and birch. That's what longboards were made from in the beginning and not too many factories want to work with it any more.

Even though Churchill is known for street and pool decks, I have been longboarding since 1993 and making longboards since '98 for many brands and have owned at one time, bareback, freeride, stolen and some other worthless names... So order up some pressed uncuts and grab a template to cut out some sic dropthroughs and dropdowns. I still make LAX boards but it's not worth evening mentioning.

Hook up a "noncave" to stain and lacquer.
    Thanks for clearing that up!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuarenbeard View Post
    get chicks, make babies, teach em to board.. and so on.
    Quiver:

Drang Dancer 60 #001 - The first 60" dancer made by Drang
    Earthwing Scavenger
    Churchill Squaretail
    Earthwing Hoopty 34

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pm sent,a couple days ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TIMORNE View Post
    pm sent,a couple days ago
    Thanks, go it. Just hit you back.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a new one. We skated slab city last weekend and it inspired these two concept boards. I actually screwed them up. The "handles" in the sides were intended to be pockets but I machined a little too deep. The handles did lighten the hell out of the boards and gave them a little flex. I made 20 of each if anybody wants one.
    Going to skate right now... Maybe we can see the tsunami coming in.
    My prayers go out to Japan.

The Inspiration

The "Big Slab" is 11"x34" and the "Son of Slab" is 9.6"x30.7"

Last edited by warco; 03-11-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the files if you want to cut one out yourself...

The Big Slab

The Son of Slab

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS