ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Building Trucks!

Work comes in between regularly, and the next project starting end of january. My carbon precision trucks are progressing, but slowly...
    I did some work on the hanger, got a new workshop, so hopefully I can make some progress now!
    I widened the bushing seat, and gave it some more room. It will be less restrictive now but don't know how much until I get to riding. I can quite easily cast some new epoxy seat areas when I get the trucks ready, without making new pressing moulds.

Name:  bushingseat.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  56.6 KB

Given the lack of time/progress, I will use this design to build some hangers first to validate the manufacturing process, followed by the baseplates.
    Updates will follow in the new year!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They look like they are really coming together I like the less restrictive bushing seat that would probably give it more of a surfy feel but I don't think you would want it to open cause then it can get a a lot of slop

Sent from my iPhone using Silverfish Longboarding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackscrap View Post
    your prototypes look much smoother then I was expecting, here is another way to cast molds, that should be fairly cheap, not sure how it relates to sand casting often referred to around here.

Oh, no molds, ok. Still I'm very interested in what metal you plan to use that is stronger then aluminium yet half the weight, did you find a supply of mithril? I might want to find some of that metal for arrowheads.
    Magnesium? Or, if you've really got some cash to burn, how about some Beryllium? I saw an article in Bicycling (?) some years back on a Beryllium bicycle frame. Don't know if it was really a rideable machine but I do recall they had pictures of it, so it was a real thing. I think this was in the 80s, not too sure really. I think even back then it was an astronomically expensive project.

edit: did a little research to boost my failing memory and found this: http://www.mombat.org/1992AmericanBe1.jpg
    it is a brief newspaper article from 1992 about the frames. Beryllium was $300 bones an ounce...then. Now?
    Last edited by mpsmith; 04-13-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    I've been 19 longer'n you've been alive - me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really interesting! No I'll just make them of carbon fibre so they will be a bit more affordable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trying to save some weight, and look less bulky.

Not sure yet...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cirrus View Post
    trying to save some weight, and look less bulky.

Not sure yet...
    I likey. That cutout makes logical sense, and makes it look less like a charger. I want to test these. Are you putting any rake on them? I'm a sucker for raked trucks.
    Helmets are cool
    Enough said

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than molding your carbon parts have you given any consideration to wrapping carbon cloth around a very light core? Like a surfboard is made. Seems like that's the only way to get real strength out of carbon parts. it allows you to position your fabrics weave in such a manner as to maximize the strength while minimizing weight. I know that's how they build aerospace parts. Someone mentioned the principle of an I-beam earlier, with most of the metal at the outside of the structure. In carbon you can put all the material (fabric) at the outside with either no core or a very light foam core.

You do want these to be functional, right? I'm no engineering whiz but I do know that trucks are under a tremendous strain. You probably are aware that a very common complaint about trucks is having bent an axle, rendering the wheels non-parallel. If all you want to do is build a very light model of a truck it looks like you are well on the way, but something you can ride... Not so sure.
    I've been 19 longer'n you've been alive - me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wheelroller Might put rake on them, haven't decided.

mpsmith I have considered it. it would be a very light solution. I've build some race yacht foils and car doors in a way like that. But seeing the underside of my trucks, battered, shaved off aluminium, I decided to go solid. Still lighter and stiffer than any truck, stronger than cast trucks and probably a lot of precicions as well. Bent hangers will be no problem, as the material doesn't bend. I'm pretty sure these will be fully functional and quite durable as well, I can't wait to test it. I'm hoping end of next month to show some trucks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS