ADVERTISEMENT

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Library of Board-Building Tips, Resources & Ideas

Is it possible to just cut up an old board and make it into a cruiser? If so, how would I go about doing it? I don't have any experience, no press or mold either. Any help appreciated.

May the hills be ever in your favor

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikes99 View Post
    Is it possible to just cut up an old board and make it into a cruiser? If so, how would I go about doing it? I don't have any experience, no press or mold either. Any help appreciated.

May the hills be ever in your favor
    If you mean a Popsicle to cruiser conversion, there's a bunch of tutorials out there including utube vids. Chopping a longboard is basically the same procedure. Get a template shape, jig saw the old board, sand, seal and drill truck mounts. Hope this is of some help.
    "So precisely, your head fits into the smallest of diameters."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have a crazy idea using the carver c7 base and gullwing sidewinder center with whatever truck I like best then just put the reg sidewinders on the back.
    Last edited by FrostThePsycho; 11-02-2015 at 04:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone can give me a direction where can I start to make my very own board using board press? The toothless link isn't working anymore. How much making one would cost?
    gravity brad edwards 40'' Gravity Mini classic Subsonic Pulse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone wondering how to make wheel wells without any tools keep reading. All you need is to put grip tape on your wheels, and to make sure your trucks are loose enough to scrape against the grip taped wheels. Then just make long turns while riding. It works. Also, if all you have is sandpaper, then just get double sided tape! Make sure you overhang the grip tape/sand paper inwards so the side of the wheels don't get scraped.

Hidden away in the Big Rock Candy Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^kookoocaTROLL
    We've heard a billion words about Building and Beginnings. My biggest interest now is Dismantle and Diminish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kookoocachoo View Post
    For anyone wondering how to make wheel wells without any tools keep reading. All you need is to put grip tape on your wheels, and to make sure your trucks are loose enough to scrape against the grip taped wheels. Then just make long turns while riding. It works. Also, if all you have is sandpaper, then just get double sided tape! Make sure you overhang the grip tape/sand paper inwards so the side of the wheels don't get scraped.
    I so wish I had the ability to delete posts … if you want wheel wells … buy tools … or take your deck to a man with tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Silverfish Longboarding

Hidden away in the Big Rock Candy Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goeller View Post
    I so wish I had the ability to delete posts … if you want wheel wells … buy tools … or take your deck to a man with tools.

I have just assumed this guy is trolling, so have opted for the sarcastic d!ck route when replying to his posts, but for the sake of people who read this in the future who may not understand completely why this is possibly the dumbest thing ever said on these forums, I will state one of many super obvious problems with this ridiculous notion.

@kookoocachoo , for your plan to work, the wheels would have to be spinning really fast (meaning YOU would have to be going pretty fast) to not just halt once they touch the deck. Next, as you said, you have to be turning a lot (while going fast so the wheels are turning fast). Griptape grips the soles of your shoes, but certainly won't grip the hard pavement, so "lots of turns" with be nearly impossible, especially hard enough turns to apply enough pressure to grind down the deck. You will just slip out and crash.

Do you need more?
    We've heard a billion words about Building and Beginnings. My biggest interest now is Dismantle and Diminish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perforated Release Film 54" Width | eBay
    Perforated Release Film for Carbon Fabric Vacuum Bagging Resin Infusion 47"Width | eBay
    will these materials work as peel ply with laminating carbon in a vacuum bag? should i get perforated or non perforated? also, should i get a dedicated breather mateial or can i just improvise with something like a blanket or whatever

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HolaSenor View Post
    Perforated Release Film 54" Width | eBay
    Perforated Release Film for Carbon Fabric Vacuum Bagging Resin Infusion 47"Width | eBay
    will these materials work as peel ply with laminating carbon in a vacuum bag? should i get perforated or non perforated? also, should i get a dedicated breather mateial or can i just improvise with something like a blanket or whatever
    In order of use.
    Breather- release film- peel ply-composite. Some times you can use perf release ply in place of peel ply.

Since you are doing a wet layup, you need the perforated to allow the excess epoxy to flow into the breather.

Proper breather is really nice. But you can get polyester wool sheets at craft stores. They are used as filling for quilts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhofmann View Post
    I have just assumed this guy is trolling, so have opted for the sarcastic d!ck route when replying to his posts, but for the sake of people who read this in the future who may not understand completely why this is possibly the dumbest thing ever said on these forums, I will state one of many super obvious problems with this ridiculous notion.

@kookoocachoo , for your plan to work, the wheels would have to be spinning really fast (meaning YOU would have to be going pretty fast) to not just halt once they touch the deck. Next, as you said, you have to be turning a lot (while going fast so the wheels are turning fast). Griptape grips the soles of your shoes, but certainly won't grip the hard pavement, so "lots of turns" with be nearly impossible, especially hard enough turns to apply enough pressure to grind down the deck. You will just slip out and crash.

Do you need more?
    I know it works because I did it. Maybe I wasn't literal enough. Put grip tape/sand paper on your wheels, overlap the grip tape/sand paper on the wheels inward so the board doesn't scrape the side of your wheels, loosen your trucks to the point where you can easily get wheel bite, and then sit, lay, crouch, whatever position makes it easiest for you to scrape the grip tape on the wheels onto the bottom of your board. Make long one way turns when scraping. You do not "need" to go fast when scraping your grip taped wheels against your board. Just powerfully shove your board along so you don't halt when the wheels touch the deck. SHOVE IT!! You probably couldn't get to a very high speed if you were scraping hard enough anyways. DO NOT ride your board as it were any other day. Sit, lay, or crouch on it while scraping the grip tape on your board. Just use common sense.
    I know this works because I did it (not standing or going fast). I would show you pictures in a heart beat but as I was rolling and scraping my board on the living room floor, my dad told me that he recently bought this motorized sander, so I used that because it was raining outside so I had very limited space to roll the grip taped wheels on my board in the living room. If your wondering, the grip tape did not leave scrape marks on the living room floor whatsoever. The sand paper/grip tape on wheels might be a little more time consuming then a tool but it does work, and it is useful to those who have little, no, or negative amounts of money. Also, some parents might not let their kids even use a sanding tool in today's world. It's to dangerous!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this on, but Home Depot has "PureBond Birch" Is that an okay material to use or should I try to find Baltic Birch?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ptxindustries View Post
    I don't know if this is the right thread to post this on, but Home Depot has "PureBond Birch" Is that an okay material to use or should I try to find Baltic Birch?

Thanks!
    ..Maybe. It looks like there are a couple varieties of the stuff, only the veneer core would be appropriate.
    Best to find BB as it is tried and true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Consortium View Post
    I made a post about my experience building a longboard. Check it out

https://danawilsonblog.wordpress.com...n-you-thought/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to be building my board and am looking for some suggestions. The plan is to make a 40"x10" dropthrough board with a 30" wheel base. My questions are:

1) How do you design the dropthrough portion of the board and can I use 10" gullwing charger trucks on this board?

2) What thickness do you recommend both for the layers and the final board? (I'm thinking 5 layers of 1/8" maple starting with a long-grain piece on top and alternating with cross grain pieces glued together with wood glue. I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 145lbs).

3) What amount of concave do you recommend? (Thinking 1/2" from flat to the "top" of the concave).

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmisurac View Post
    I'm going to be building my board and am looking for some suggestions. The plan is to make a 40"x10" dropthrough board with a 30" wheel base. My questions are:

1) How do you design the dropthrough portion of the board and can I use 10" gullwing charger trucks on this board?

2) What thickness do you recommend both for the layers and the final board? (I'm thinking 5 layers of 1/8" maple starting with a long-grain piece on top and alternating with cross grain pieces glued together with wood glue. I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 145lbs).

3) What amount of concave do you recommend? (Thinking 1/2" from flat to the "top" of the concave).

Thanks!!
    How are you pressing? And what do you mean by 1/8" maple?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Library of Board-Building Tips, Resources & Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by rmisurac View Post

Thanks!!
    Why post this in 2 threads … one was enough.
    1). There is a section of resources called templates … pretty sure there is a drop through template to print out.
    2). 1/16" would be better. 1/8" will be difficult to put 1/2" concave in.

3.). 1/2". Concave will be fine.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS