ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help with drop deck build

I have made a few boards with just concave and drop through but never a drop deck. I am going to make a drop deck press out of some high density foam that I got from roarockit using a hot wire cutter and four templates, two for the concave, and two for the drops. I got the idea from this video: Using a hot wire cutter to make deep longboard W concave - YouTube. I think it will wrok pretty well but i have a couple questions. It is going to be a half inch drop and i am using 1/8" baltic birch, how steep could i make the drop without the baltic birch breaking? I was thinking .5" over 2" would be good but I'm not sure. Also, there will not be transition from the concave to the flat/drop, i think this will be alright with baltic birch, but does anyone know if it would work with maple? Or would there not be enough pressure?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help with drop deck build

This will give you an idea how to do a tight bend using maple veneer. Have a look at the molds. The plywood on the bottom works great. The maple is easier to bend than the Baltic birch.
    One Inch Drop Deck Build « Ministry of Wood, Skateboard Builder Directory

Ted
    ROAROCKIT

TOLL FREE NUMBER FOR USA AND CANADA
    1 888 857 7790

GREAT PRICES ON MAPLE, BIRCH AND BAMBOO VENEERS

Innovative Tools for Boardbuilding
    NEW 3 STEP DROP THROUGH TEMPLATE
    DOUBLE BEARING ROUTER BIT SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR ROUNDING SKATEBOARDS

Check us out at Roarockit.ca in Canada - Roarockit.com in USA - Roarockit.eu in Europe
    - Roarockit.co.uk in the United Kingdom - Australianskateboardkits.com in Australia

We are a Social Minded, 100% Boardbuilding Company

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not have a vac bag, I am using the hot wire and templates to make a two sided mold

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand.
    Do not use the maple it will bubble unless the mold is built perfectly. Baltic birch is best.

The foam is pretty dense so the shape should be better than if you used the home depot stuff.

If you do use a vacuum bag you do not need a two part mold. The vacuum bag will give even pressure all over the veneer surface. A 2 part mold unless you have it made using a cnc will have voids. This will cause delam and bubbling.

Ted
    Last edited by Ted; 07-26-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    ROAROCKIT

TOLL FREE NUMBER FOR USA AND CANADA
    1 888 857 7790

GREAT PRICES ON MAPLE, BIRCH AND BAMBOO VENEERS

Innovative Tools for Boardbuilding
    NEW 3 STEP DROP THROUGH TEMPLATE
    DOUBLE BEARING ROUTER BIT SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR ROUNDING SKATEBOARDS

Check us out at Roarockit.ca in Canada - Roarockit.com in USA - Roarockit.eu in Europe
    - Roarockit.co.uk in the United Kingdom - Australianskateboardkits.com in Australia

We are a Social Minded, 100% Boardbuilding Company

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thank you ted. So would a half inch drop over 2 inches be alright with 1/8 baltic birch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does the drop end on most boards? I'm pretty sure it ends right where the nose ends but on some boards it looks like it extends into the standing platform

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I mAde my press using a hot wore and some templates out of the high density foam from roarockit. The press turned out pretty well but I tried a dry press and the board barely bent at all at the drop. It is supposed to be a .5 inch drop over 1.75 inches and it didn't drop at all. I am using 1/8 Baltic birch and a hydraulic press with 2 6 ton jacks, is the Baltic birch too thick for this bend or is there just not enough pressure? Also the foam crushed a little bit at the drops, any help is greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do a full 1" drop over ~3". I'm sure .5" over 2 inches would be fine. I do mine in multiple pressings though (3 ply, 2 ply, all together) for my 5 ply 43" drop deck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caneco View Post
    i do a full 1" drop over ~3". I'm sure .5" over 2 inches would be fine. I do mine in multiple pressings though (3 ply, 2 ply, all together) for my 5 ply 43" drop deck.
    Yeah that's what I thought but i tried it with just one ply of 1/8 bb and it did not drop at all. I might just need more pressure. Are you supposed to leave a flat spot between the concave and the drop cause I didn't? It goes straight from the concave to the drop, could that be the problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lesson i learned was don't make your foam mold drop to drastic. I made press with 2" drop over about 2.5" spam. The boards drop was so low when i stepped on the deck it would hit the ground with 4ply BB. Need some giant riser to make it ridable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is a .5 inch drop over 1.75 inches too drastic? I didt even get it to drop at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick2137 View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought but i tried it with just one ply of 1/8 bb and it did not drop at all. I might just need more pressure. Are you supposed to leave a flat spot between the concave and the drop cause I didn't? It goes straight from the concave to the drop, could that be the problem?
    That's definitely an issue. The wood can't suddenly transition like that so it resists more than it would if you end the concave before the drop begins
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've created compound concave (drop and concave in the same place), the hardest concave to press! you'll end up crushing your foam before you get that drop. Rework the mold, and end your concave before the drop in order to make this happen.
    I did try the .5" drop over 1.5" and it destroyed the mold. If you are jet-set on this method, after you've reworked the mold so that the concave and the drop are separate, do it in multiple pressings like Caneco has suggested.
    If all of the above fails. Move up to Maple and a TAP/vac bag.

You could post some pic's of the mold if you're confused about how to correct it. This fish here will gladly help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blizardwizard View Post
    You've created compound concave (drop and concave in the same place), the hardest concave to press! you'll end up crushing your foam before you get that drop. Rework the mold, and end your concave before the drop in order to make this happen.
    I did try the .5" drop over 1.5" and it destroyed the mold. If you are jet-set on this method, after you've reworked the mold so that the concave and the drop are separate, do it in multiple pressings like Caneco has suggested.
    If all of the above fails. Move up to Maple and a TAP/vac bag.

You could post some pic's of the mold if you're confused about how to correct it. This fish here will gladly help.
    Ok sweet, I read some people saying that they got a one inch drop over 3 inches so I thought .5 over 1.75 was reasonable. I think know how to fix it, so just leave like an inch flat spot between the concave and drop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok sweet, I read some people saying that they got a one inch drop over 3 inches so I thought .5 over 1.75 was reasonable. I think know how to fix it, so just leave like an inch flat spot between the concave and drop?
    Yep, the concave should curve away from the drop, like the molds seen in Roarockit's tutorial. That way you take away pressure gradually as you get to the drop, and your wood isn't bent 2 way at the same time in the same place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, so after trying clamps and hydraulics, i think i am actually going to buy a vaccum bag from roarockit. I have been hesitant to get one because its expensive but that seems to be the best way to make all different types of boards and get uniform pressure. I have a couple questions though, i have a freind who has some boards that i really like and was wondering if i could just use one of his boards as the mold. I know this question has been asked before on this forum and i read that the concave will be mellower, but how much mellower will it be? Will it really be noticeable, and wont the same thing happen with a foam mold? The concave on the board will be mellower than the cancave on the foam mold right? If using an already made board doesnt work as a mold, what is the best way to make a copy of a board that i like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will it really be noticeable, and wont the same thing happen with a foam mold? The concave on the board will be mellower than the cancave on the foam mold right? If using an already made board doesnt work as a mold, what is the best way to make a copy of a board that i like?
    With a foam mold, you are pressing the top sheet of your board against the mold that has the exact concave of the final board. If you are pressing against a deck, you are pressing the top sheet of your board against the bottom sheet of the mold board, resulting in less concave. (It makes sense in my mind, sorry if it doesn't make sense in words.) Also, look through the tutorials HERE for help with making foam molds and pressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah that does make sense. It doesn't seem like it would be a big difference though, and couldn't you laminate your blank to the top of the board for more concave? Yeah I read the tutorial on roarockit for how to shape a foam mold but that way seems much more complicated than just using a hot wire and templates, although I'm not sure how you would do a drop deck with a hot wire and templates because then you get corners where the concave meters the drop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot wires always seemed a bit messy to me. I used the tools they used in the roarockit tutorials to shape a press and it worked quite well and fairly quickly.
    Question
    the next board I'm going to make is going to be a double drop, and I was thinking 1.5 inch drop over 3 inches (I'll be using maple veneers and a tap bag, and pressing them in multiple steps) and then raising it .25 inches to give it that lock in thing that the ly switchblade has, and then giving it a .25 inch rocker, so it's only really a 1 inch drop. Sound practical?

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS