ADVERTISEMENT

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: THE Snowboard Building Thread

Sweet to see so many MichTech/Snowboarders!

Unfortunately, pressing my board went terribly wrong I pressure tested the bag, but as soon as I got everything laid up and in there, it just wouldn't hold. I tried finding the hole/leak, couldn't figure it out though. I tried pumping out the air as often as possible, but I just have way too much to do to sit around nursing a vac bag for 6 hours.

In theory, it would have turned out good. Because of the leak there are waves in the base that filled up with epoxy and I don't think it'll be rideable (at least in any sort of enjoyable manner)

******* sucks dick that this happened. I leave in 24hrs to go to Mexico for 10 days too... looks like I will be taking an unfavorably long break from snowboarding and building. Ballsack

You'll see me again though! Another attempt is in order, can't let it make me stop trying
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards

2. ADVERTISEMENT

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    Sweet to see so many MichTech/Snowboarders!

Unfortunately, pressing my board went terribly wrong I pressure tested the bag, but as soon as I got everything laid up and in there, it just wouldn't hold. I tried finding the hole/leak, couldn't figure it out though. I tried pumping out the air as often as possible, but I just have way too much to do to sit around nursing a vac bag for 6 hours.

In theory, it would have turned out good. Because of the leak there are waves in the base that filled up with epoxy and I don't think it'll be rideable (at least in any sort of enjoyable manner)

******* sucks dick that this happened. I leave in 24hrs to go to Mexico for 10 days too... looks like I will be taking an unfavorably long break from snowboarding and building. Ballsack

You'll see me again though! Another attempt is in order, can't let it make me stop trying
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hate that feeling soooo very much. Best of luck on your re-try, I'll be watching with great interest.
    Enjoy the vacation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, if it sucks to fail at the profiling the core stage, I can't imagine how it's got to feel to fail during the layup. Glad to see you'll be trying again though! (I'm still trying to figure out what to do in my situation :/)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some epoxy/fibre under the tackytape??
    It really sucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been toying with the idea for years. I finally pulled the trigger on building my own skis. Ordered all the pieces today. Edges, base, 22 oz glass, etc. Also ordered some 6" hose for an air bladder press. Time to start building! Gunna build some fatty, rockered floaters!

@FRAREBEAR, sorry to hear about the fail. You and I met a couple months ago at OUR veneer supplier...remember?
    Sik Longboards - Performance Gravity Tools - Siklongboards.com

Concrete Kahuna Young Grasshopper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default THE Snowboard Building Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cushioned Concrete View Post
    How about we avoid the term pirate...bandit or outlaw works just fine. Haha
    Skate outlaw doesn't work and skate bandit sounds weak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a board I built last weekend, Topsheet is printed veneer, smooth -cast 380 poured sidewalls, hard rock maple core, flat camber, rockered tip and tail.Name:  2012-11-12 16.29.35.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  42.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooo, that topsheet is sweet!

Human Popsicle I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crappy deal on the bag pressure.

ran into the same problem when i did a couple boards, except my air leaks were manageable.

My problem was having the sidewalls delam after about 5-10 days of riding, due to what i figure was improper heat treating, heck blew a couple sidewalls of when planing the cores, which isn't always fun having 5 foot strips of plastic shoot across the shop. The solution which i wanted to try was to run a wood sidewall made of a specific type of wood, but the market prices at the time were in fluctuation so i couldn't get any in due to it not being worth it for the lumber suppliers i was using, kinda sucked but one day soon ill build another snowboard.

heres two pics of the ones i made.

Name:  roggssnowboard.jpg
Views: 31519
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_0034_01.jpg
Views: 7321
Size:  31.7 KBName:  DSC_0036.jpg
Views: 7316
Size:  28.1 KB

The only competition in life is yourself, but be warned it loves to throw challenges in your face, just to make it a fun experience..

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki440 View Post

Name:  roggssnowboard.jpg
Views: 31519
Size:  47.5 KB
    Thats the one with your serrated edge isn't it?
    How'd that work out for you... I'm getting more and more inclined to build a board.

I remember that from years back under my previous username.

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that one actually worked damn good, it just needed a thinner core and a more pronounced nose and tail, i still have the template somewhere or the edge profile

The only competition in life is yourself, but be warned it loves to throw challenges in your face, just to make it a fun experience..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more broke than I realized, so it may be awhile before round #2 gets started. But I'm gonna make damn sure that my bag holds before I lay it up next time. I may still finish up the first board quickly to jib around on and see how the flex is... and see if it snaps immediately haha

Quote Originally Posted by cirrus View Post
    some epoxy/fibre under the tackytape??
    It really sucks.
    I didn't use any tape for this bag, just heat-welded seams and a homemade c-clamp. Definitely got some epoxy in the C-clamp though (channel clamp, not the usual c-clamp with a screw jaw)

Quote Originally Posted by TiGuy View Post
    Been toying with the idea for years. I finally pulled the trigger on building my own skis. Ordered all the pieces today. Edges, base, 22 oz glass, etc. Also ordered some 6" hose for an air bladder press. Time to start building! Gunna build some fatty, rockered floaters!

@FRAREBEAR, sorry to hear about the fail. You and I met a couple months ago at OUR veneer supplier...remember?
    Sweet! Show some pics of your progress. I'd like to see how your press turns out/how much it ends up costing

Quote Originally Posted by nrgboards View Post
    Here's a board I built last weekend, Topsheet is printed veneer, smooth -cast 380 poured sidewalls, hard rock maple core, flat camber, rockered tip and tail.
    Dope. I found your thread on skibuilders.com... if you wanna tell more about your process I'd listen. I was going for that same kind of flat/rocker profile on my board. Does it ride well?

crappy deal on the bag pressure.

ran into the same problem when i did a couple boards, except my air leaks were manageable.

My problem was having the sidewalls delam after about 5-10 days of riding, due to what i figure was improper heat treating, heck blew a couple sidewalls of when planing the cores, which isn't always fun having 5 foot strips of plastic shoot across the shop. The solution which i wanted to try was to run a wood sidewall made of a specific type of wood, but the market prices at the time were in fluctuation so i couldn't get any in due to it not being worth it for the lumber suppliers i was using, kinda sucked but one day soon ill build another snowboard.
    I'd love to see more builds from you, they're always sick. I like the clear one where you can see the "guts" of the board. Did coloring the wood effect the epoxy/wood bond at all? Cuz it looks cool.
    Last edited by frare bear; 11-27-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?

Addicted Cruiser Brennig Hughes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem was how you sealed the bag, when heat sealing they should overlap like a tube, you shouldn't pinch the ends together. If it's pinched together the vacuum is enough to tear a hole on the seam, I found that out the hard way too. I used that method to close off one end and luckily I noticed the leak right on the seam, instead you should overlap like a tube lengthways and use sealing tape to seal off either end. I hope that helps

I might film me making one next time, just finished my revised version a few minutes ago.

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see more builds from you, they're always sick. I like the clear one where you can see the "guts" of the board. Did coloring the wood effect the epoxy/wood bond at all? Cuz it looks cool.
    Dying the wood did not affect the bond at all, so its an easy way to color your planks if planning to not use a top sheet, or if your running a clear base, just cant see the wood grain that well due to it being under a layer of tri/biaxial and or a layer of ptex but thats nothing.

As for builds i haven't touched a deck (in the building sense) in about 9 months now, and probably wont be able to for at least another 6 but who knows if the bug bites hard enough, i can build a board in a closet if need be and make a "how to be resourceful without having access to a shop or garage" thread. In the past ive pressed, cut and painted a deck in a bedroom definitely not ideal lol but it worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brennig Hughes View Post
    I think the problem was how you sealed the bag, when heat sealing they should overlap like a tube, you shouldn't pinch the ends together. If it's pinched together the vacuum is enough to tear a hole on the seam, I found that out the hard way too. I used that method to close off one end and luckily I noticed the leak right on the seam, instead you should overlap like a tube lengthways and use sealing tape to seal off either end. I hope that helps

I might film me making one next time, just finished my revised version a few minutes ago.
    Hmmm I suppose it's possible that it was a seam. I did actually find a small hole in the bottom of the bag, maybe a combination of the two is what made it leak so badly.

Dying the wood did not affect the bond at all, so its an easy way to color your planks if planning to not use a top sheet, or if your running a clear base, just cant see the wood grain that well due to it being under a layer of tri/biaxial and or a layer of ptex but thats nothing.

As for builds i haven't touched a deck (in the building sense) in about 9 months now, and probably wont be able to for at least another 6 but who knows if the bug bites hard enough, i can build a board in a closet if need be and make a "how to be resourceful without having access to a shop or garage" thread. In the past ive pressed, cut and painted a deck in a bedroom definitely not ideal lol but it worked.
    Nice, what sort of dye did you use? 9 months?!? Sad day dude. My friend here in Golden has what he said was a prototype of a carbon foamcore that you made, a dropthrough. In a closet would be impressive haha over the summer I was using my friends back patio. I'll be watching when you do get around to building again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking up some supplies today gonna make a 152..

I think I'm gonna use a wooden hydraulic press..I have a vac bag but it has a leak I can't find for the life of me..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The woodshop teacher at my school encouraged me to try making my own core again last time I saw him...I guess I'm getting more wood to try it again sometime this week!

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, what sort of dye did you use? 9 months?!? Sad day dude. My friend here in Golden has what he said was a prototype of a carbon foamcore that you made, a dropthrough. In a closet would be impressive haha over the summer I was using my friends back patio. I'll be watching when you do get around to building again!
    My norm aka procion fabric dyes, cheap vibrant colors that work great cant go wrong with them. and yeah that deck would be an old proto balsa core rumrunner (not foam), as i was trying to build decks from as many renewable sources as possible for that type of deck anyways, but it turned out that i was highly allergic to balsa dust, so when i eventually build a board similar just modernized in the future it will have to be a foam core

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My norm aka procion fabric dyes, cheap vibrant colors that work great cant go wrong with them. and yeah that deck would be an old proto balsa core rumrunner (not foam), as i was trying to build decks from as many renewable sources as possible for that type of deck anyways, but it turned out that i was highly allergic to balsa dust, so when i eventually build a board similar just modernized in the future it will have to be a foam core
    I use fabric dye on boards as well, basically the same stuff as Rit dye. Walmart has a pack for 3 bucks that will last about 20 boards..
    Another great thing is that it is water based, so epoxy will still bond with it unless most traditional oil based wood stains.

Addicted Cruiser Brennig Hughes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it end grain balsa? If so, how was it, besides the allergy of course

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS