ADVERTISEMENT

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: THE Snowboard Building Thread

I have a question for you snowboard builders. I have been thinking about making one myself, but I wanted to know if you used sidewalls or just a cap construction? The cap construction seems pretty simple. Is the sidewall method any harder?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki440 View Post
    My norm aka procion fabric dyes, cheap vibrant colors that work great cant go wrong with them. and yeah that deck would be an old proto balsa core rumrunner (not foam), as i was trying to build decks from as many renewable sources as possible for that type of deck anyways, but it turned out that i was highly allergic to balsa dust, so when i eventually build a board similar just modernized in the future it will have to be a foam core
    Allergies are no fun. I would like to try a foam core one day... when I have some $$$

Quote Originally Posted by cadenc View Post
    I use fabric dye on boards as well, basically the same stuff as Rit dye. Walmart has a pack for 3 bucks that will last about 20 boards..
    Another great thing is that it is water based, so epoxy will still bond with it unless most traditional oil based wood stains.
    Dope.

Quote Originally Posted by ddesorme View Post
    I have a question for you snowboard builders. I have been thinking about making one myself, but I wanted to know if you used sidewalls or just a cap construction? The cap construction seems pretty simple. Is the sidewall method any harder?
    The pictures myself, Loki and NRG have posted all have sidewalls. The only person I've seen make the cap-construction boards is the dude from BoardCrafter. For me, sidewalls weren't bad at all.... but take into consideration my board didn't work out so well. If the pressing had gone OK, I think the sidewalls would have worked fine. Loki said after a few days riding his would de-lam, which I've heard is a pretty common problem. They have to be heat-treated, which I had never done before so I think if you do that right your first try (ha) then they shouldn't de-lam... theoretically
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo frare, any tips?

I'm gonna be using a wooden hydraulic press, as long as it will work.
    Also, planning on doing fabric under the base for a graphic, any idea if that's feasible?

I'll probably either do a veneer topsheet or screen print a plastic one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadenc View Post
    Yo frare, any tips?

I'm gonna be using a wooden hydraulic press, as long as it will work.
    Also, planning on doing fabric under the base for a graphic, any idea if that's feasible?

I'll probably either do a veneer topsheet or screen print a plastic one
    The biggest thing I'd say, is if you expect it to take 2 hours to get something done, it will take at least 4 hours. Especially if you're like me and want to make sure it's all perfect. If you've made solid wood molds before the hydraulic press should work out fine. Do dry runs, make sure you have absolutely everything ready to go before you start laying it up. Edges were pretty hard, if you're on a budget I'd recommend the little jig I made and posted earlier. Ask if you want more pics or clarifications about it. You know how the say measure twice, cut once? Well that's definitely true, but also think about it twice... I almost cut my core too skinny for the width of sidewalls I had. Definitely tape up the base before you press to keep it from getting epoxy all over it. If you're profiling your own core maybe have enough material for a second board on-hand... it looks tough to get right first try. Don't forget to heat treat the sidewalls, and sand them lightly. That was pretty ramble-y... hopefully it was kinda helpful though.

Fabric should work fine, it's just like another layer of glass. The clear/natural bases aren't super clear, but you should be able to see it fine.

Veneer topsheet would look sick. I've never screen printed plastic or pbt for topsheets... I read something about epoxy inks for screen printing on skibuilders. That was for the base though.

Texas eh? Where do you usually ride?
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double post....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    The biggest thing I'd say, is if you expect it to take 2 hours to get something done, it will take at least 4 hours. Especially if you're like me and want to make sure it's all perfect. If you've made solid wood molds before the hydraulic press should work out fine. Do dry runs, make sure you have absolutely everything ready to go before you start laying it up. Edges were pretty hard, if you're on a budget I'd recommend the little jig I made and posted earlier. Ask if you want more pics or clarifications about it. You know how the say measure twice, cut once? Well that's definitely true, but also think about it twice... I almost cut my core too skinny for the width of sidewalls I had. Definitely tape up the base before you press to keep it from getting epoxy all over it. If you're profiling your own core maybe have enough material for a second board on-hand... it looks tough to get right first try. Don't forget to heat treat the sidewalls, and sand them lightly. That was pretty ramble-y... hopefully it was kinda helpful though.

Fabric should work fine, it's just like another layer of glass. The clear/natural bases aren't super clear, but you should be able to see it fine.

Veneer topsheet would look sick. I've never screen printed plastic or pbt for topsheets... I read something about epoxy inks for screen printing on skibuilders. That was for the base though.

Texas eh? Where do you usually ride?
    Well, I used to ride a 65 mph hill about 40 minutes away until it got chipsealed..

There's one spot about 15-20 minutes away that's 45 mph and great for freeriding..but it's in a gated community. So it's either a 3 mile hike in the canyon hopping fences with all your gear or occasionally having generous friends who live out there call you in..

Other than that, it's all road trips..Santa fe/Albequerque is our usual spot, sometimes Oklahoma. Usually we don't ride too much in texas (dallas 6 hours, austin 10)

Haha, so I don't ride nearly as much as I'd like. Sometimes once a week, or I'll go ride park a little. Hopefully I'll get into CSU and get some scholarships so I can shred a lot.
    That's why I build though, never much time to ride unfortunately

Also, I may definetely have you explain the edge bender to me a little later once my stuff comes in. I don't plan on riding it this season, my Omatic will work fine. So, I'll have plenty of time to make templates and get everything done just right. I'm still expecting lots of fails haha but hey that's how you learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, I didn't know they had any skiing in the santa fe area. Fort Collins is sick, fun place and CSU has a lot of hotties too haha. It's not as close as some places to the ski resorts, but definitely closer than what you have now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Fort Collins too!! 3 hours from most resorts, but: CSU is a great place to ride a deck around, the mountains are beautiful, and so many people ride some sort of board around here. The only downside is it is finals week and that means nonstop studying -_-
    -No one should waste gravity, no matter how painful it can be.

Be sure to check out my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/YtkaLongboardingCo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duckmiester View Post
    I love Fort Collins too!! 3 hours from most resorts, but: CSU is a great place to ride a deck around, the mountains are beautiful, and so many people ride some sort of board around here. The only downside is it is finals week and that means nonstop studying -_-
    He might have graduated, but there's a kid named Wes that went to FoCo and he used to shred really hard around campus with a crew. Rocked a handlebar mustache I think haha.

During finals I like to study 3 or 4 hours, then skate for 30-60 minutes, and go back to studying. The blood flow helps your brain function better, and you get a break from sitting on your *ss staring at books and computers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TiGuy View Post
    Been toying with the idea for years. I finally pulled the trigger on building my own skis. Ordered all the pieces today. Edges, base, 22 oz glass, etc. Also ordered some 6" hose for an air bladder press. Time to start building! Gunna build some fatty, rockered floaters!

@FRAREBEAR, sorry to hear about the fail. You and I met a couple months ago at OUR veneer supplier...remember?
    Dude! Totally forgot to respond to this, but yes! I forget your name, but we met up at Dave's place. I'm glad you're getting into the snow sports, you should let me know how your press turns out. Gotta love some fat pow skis!!

P.S. I dig your boards and website

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Back at it again

Well! It's been way too long... but I've started on attempt #2. I aim to get it pressed on Wednesday, so expect another update then. Here's what I did today so far.

Name:  8381691171_c262eb2ab2.jpg
Views: 29210
Size:  94.0 KBName:  8382775090_978c23bace.jpg
Views: 6126
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  8381690307_84d54aa093.jpg
Views: 6128
Size:  82.1 KBName:  8382774174_e0ed99dc5f.jpg
Views: 6129
Size:  90.8 KB

EDIT: decided to attach the edges tonight as well

Name:  8382065753_7e05b762d0.jpg
Views: 6109
Size:  95.2 KBName:  8383147222_dec759d38c.jpg
Views: 6129
Size:  50.2 KB
    Last edited by frare bear; 01-14-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Longskateaholic neithertannortien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I have a question for everyone with snowboard building experience. I was wondering about repairs to a snowboard. I currently own a burton custom X. I got it used on a good deal a few years back and love the thing. Anyways there is a spot about the size of a half dollar on the bottom that is worn through to the fiberglass. I was wondering what I could do to fix it/decrease the possibility of future damage. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert, but the only thing I could see is you could always go buy a stick of P-Tex at your local ski shop and fill up the hole. There are many video of this process on youtube and it isn't very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea a P-tex candle is probably your best bet, real easy to do too. That's pretty big though, how did it happen? is it a gash from hitting a rock or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a core shot, P-tex won't help..You're gonna need a base weld, or Epoxy infused P-tex..local shop should be able to help you out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a problem with starting the tipspacer material right about where the bends for the tip and tail start? I could just see there being a problem with there being too much stress there, but I'm not positive. Thoughts?

Also, have you cut kind of like a groove in the wood core where the teeth of the edge would sit? (Im sure there's a correct term for that.) I haven't seen much mention of it in the SkiBuilder forums, but maybe I just missed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snarkity View Post
    Is there a problem with starting the tipspacer material right about where the bends for the tip and tail start? I could just see there being a problem with there being too much stress there, but I'm not positive. Thoughts?
    I don't think so, that's how most people I've seen do it. Just a straight cut across. I don't have any concrete proof of this though...

Quote Originally Posted by snarkity View Post
    Also, have you cut kind of like a groove in the wood core where the teeth of the edge would sit? (Im sure there's a correct term for that.) I haven't seen much mention of it in the SkiBuilder forums, but maybe I just missed it.
    It's called a rabbet (pronounced like rabbit) and I actually just set my router up for that today. I don't think it's necessary, but seems easy enough. I'll post pics when I'm done... which might be a few days cuz I'll be in the Mountains tomorrow and friday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tried making a Polyurethane vacuum bag? So far it has been a major PITA! It's taking way longer than I expected, have to clamp each seam for 24 hours... and it will end up with 4 seams Should be worth it though... hopefully it will last as long as I build things and will be big enough for snowboards, longboards, skimboards, and wakeboards...

Also, I decided to say eff making a rabbet, I don't want to risk tearing off my sidewalls.

This is gonna be the topsheet, probably with some black and/or white paint to go along with it. Looks much more red than I expected...

Name:  8396058592_12c7f16866.jpg
Views: 6063
Size:  189.7 KBName:  8396059046_ded9c4bd95.jpg
Views: 6054
Size:  145.1 KB

Other than the bag, it's basically ready to be pressed...

Name:  8396058094_ac9410e9c9.jpg
Views: 18488
Size:  89.2 KBName:  8396057746_da41af0518.jpg
Views: 6043
Size:  61.5 KB

Just gotta play the waiting game now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp. Re-usable vac bags suck for snowboard building. One-time use with sealing tape attached to the mold work just fine... but TAP-style bags are a huge pita.

Finally got another board in the bag... seriously considering a pneumatic press now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well! Here's my second board. Not perfect, but I'm taking it up to the slopes tomorrow. Now that I have some income... I'll be starting on a CNC build and possibly a pneumatic press. Anywho, pics:

Top:

Name:  8500179958_00e3cac192.jpg
Views: 18452
Size:  167.0 KBName:  8499084259_bd1d0421af.jpg
Views: 18434
Size:  175.1 KB

Bottom:

Name:  8499075663_7f7a117855.jpg
Views: 18446
Size:  126.3 KB

Edges/Sidewalls/Frayed Kevlar/Base:

Name:  8497185931_b0e3a2a40d.jpg
Views: 18450
Size:  104.3 KB

If anyone is interested, I can elaborate on the shape, camber profile, and what went wrong with this build.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS