ADVERTISEMENT

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: THE Snowboard Building Thread

Holy crap, that fabric looks absolutely stunning! Is that a CF/Kevlar mix?

I just got some blue/white Kevlar/FG fabric in that I'm itching to use.
    Any tips for getting that shine? I've gathered using denatured alcohol and wet sanding is key, but do you have any tips?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    If anyone is interested, I can elaborate on the shape, camber profile, and what went wrong with this build.
    Elaborate away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mbease View Post
    Holy crap, that fabric looks absolutely stunning! Is that a CF/Kevlar mix?

I just got some blue/white Kevlar/FG fabric in that I'm itching to use.
    Any tips for getting that shine? I've gathered using denatured alcohol and wet sanding is key, but do you have any tips?
    Sexy right?? Yea it's Carbon/Kevlar from compositeenvisions. I like that both the carbon and kevlar are running in both directions, it's a little different than some CF/K weaves.

Honestly I still have never wetsanded anything, I can always get plenty of shine using Minwax Polyurethane (Gloss). I apply with foam brushes, wait for it dry completely (4-6 hours) between coats and also very lightly sand with high grit between. Usually I do 4 or 5 coats, sometimes more. Gives it a nice smooth glossy finish and makes everything nice and waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by snarkity View Post
    Elaborate away!
    It's a 164cm wide board, so close to 13 inches at its widest point. I wanted it to be an all mountain/powder board, hence the wide-ness. Then right around where the binding mounts are, I had a slight flair to emulate libtech's grip tech. This tied in with the camber profile, the underfoot camber applied pressure right where the flairs are, so that you could really dig that edge in and get a solid response, even in bad (icy) conditions. Then after the camber the outer 14 or so inches of tip/tail have early rise, to help it float in that sweet sweet pow.

I pressed this guy in a tap bag, it was literally just big enough to fit all 164cm of the board inside. Then to get the shape I used lots of clamps to comform the board to an external mold I made with ribs and BB. When I was sliding the layup into the bag, the tip spacers and composite top sheet got pushed around and wrinkly. Mainly cosmetic issues there. I believe the bubbles on the bottom of the board were from lack of pressure in the kind of gnarly transitions from underfoot camber to tip rocker/rise.

Sadly, I was driving up to the mountains, buddies (AssHats) following me with my board in their ski rack, and somehow he forgot to lock the rack all the way or something..... sad story short, 4 broken skis and my unridden baby is MIA maybe when the snowmelts we'll be able to find it.. super big bummer though.

In better news, we will be working on a new shop with a pneumatic press and CNC router
    Last edited by frare bear; 02-25-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    I pressed this guy in a tap bag, it was literally just big enough to fit all 164cm of the board inside.
    Was that your homemade TAP bag that you were having problems with or just the 20"x70" bag? And that sucks to have lost it! Good luck with your pneumatic press and CNC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snarkity View Post
    Was that your homemade TAP bag that you were having problems with or just the 20"x70" bag? And that sucks to have lost it! Good luck with your pneumatic press and CNC!
    No TAP problems, those things never fail me. I made two really big bags that will only work if I have an auto cycling pump... which I don't. Thanks!
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    @liqwoodboards

Addicted Cruiser Brennig Hughes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you make one with an overlap (tube like) seam? I did and had no problems pressing 1/8" BB loads of times. When I tired a seam like the one you did in an earlier post the vacuum managed to tear holes in it. By overlapping the sheeting into a tube you minimise the chances of melting holes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brennig Hughes View Post
    Did you make one with an overlap (tube like) seam? I did and had no problems pressing 1/8" BB loads of times. When I tired a seam like the one you did in an earlier post the vacuum managed to tear holes in it. By overlapping the sheeting into a tube you minimise the chances of melting holes too.
    My second attempt was a tube, made out of 20gauge Duramax polyurethane. Bonded with HH-66. The bag is airtight, but my sealing method is leaking. I bought a C-channel clamp thing and it can't squeeze tight enough. I may still try to make a wooden c-clamp dowel thing that clamps harder...

Literally nothing sticks to this poly stuff, so sealing tape is out of the question.
    @liqwoodboards

Addicted Cruiser Brennig Hughes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I see, that sucks then. I used polythene and heat welded with an iron, sealing tape sticks well to it. Keep up the good work anyways, I like this thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea that first one was heat welded polyethylene, like you did. The polyurethane is way different though, if I get it to work the bag should last many many years.

Thanks! I like this thread too lol
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now that I've got a bit more free time, I'm going to continue with building mine. I was just wondering now, would it work to press the board upside down in the vacuum bag? I was thinking that it might make it easier to get it wrinkle free if you could just drape everything over the form and you wouldn't have to worry about things sliding to the middle and getting wrinkly. Is this actually a valid idea or am I missing something completely?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely possible. I didn't do it because I used a composite layer for the topsheet. If you get an actually PBT or whatever plastic topsheet, it should be fine.

I wanted to do it that way (upside down) because making the mold would be way easier.

Did you make your own bag?
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't make my own bag, but I'm making a shorter board than you and I think it should be able to just fit in the 20x70. I'll make the mold soon just to make sure that the bag will still seal with everything in it, since I've never had good experiences with making my own bags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless it's real short, it'll be tough to fit the mold and board inside. I used my TAP and had the mold external to the bag, I can take pics if you wanna see it.

On another note, I'm gonna order more stuff for my next build soon. Anyone got any sweet ideas for color schemes or ideas? Don't know if I wanna go carbon/kevlar again or not

Kinda like this for the top
    Name:  8516738877_d64b621849.jpg
Views: 26707
Size:  88.2 KB
    Last edited by frare bear; 02-28-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've acquired enough Maple and Poplar to make hopefully 6-8 snowboard cores, I'll report back on the progress and process used... One of the small Maple planks weighs more than the mid size Poplar plank. Crazy how dense Maple is!

Name:  8522120279_1dc3baf4ec.jpg
Views: 26743
Size:  115.9 KB
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring break's comin up. Colorado trip planned. Now I need to try this. I have everything ordered, have cut out all my strips for a maple/cedar core, and have my designs sketched on inventor, now I would just like some opinions

Board is a 148 with hybrid camber and flat kicks
    Name:  1st.jpg
Views: 26655
Size:  7.3 KB

Design like a DC Ply, or kinda close at least.
    Name:  2nd.jpg
Views: 26704
Size:  13.3 KB

I'm just worried about flexiness. It's going to have a sintered base, carbon stringer layer of fiberglass, core that's thickest under bindings at 6mm and tapers down to 2mm, triax glass, and then I was going to exclude the topsheet so that I could have a clear top and do a mixture of laser-engraved designs and rice paper graphics (by the way, can you do those in color?)
    And one thing I was wondering was about a carbon stringer running width-wise about the nose and tail, like along these lines:
    Name:  3rd.jpg
Views: 26642
Size:  15.6 KB
    And I was hoping that it would add more stability and possibly pop? It would be Biaxial 5.7 oz 3" CF tape

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet! What part of CO will be in?

I'd smooth out the transition to the tip/tail a little, just to make sure you get even pressure and no base bubbles. BTW, how will you be pressing this?

148?! How tall are you? My last one was 164 with 22oz triax top and bottom, then the 6oz carbon/kevlar topsheet, and it was the stiffest board I've owned (2mm-7mm-2mm).

Rice paper works well in black, red, blue/purple and green. Yellow is a little iffy, depending on the background. White would only work if you have a special white-printing printer.

I'm gonna add some carbon stringers for pop on my next one. Are you putting it only on the 15cm on the tip and tails? As far as pop goes, it would be better to get some uniaxial and run that from the binding inserts to the tail/nose.

Stoked to see another snowboard build
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, we'll be in Breck for almost a week, and hopefully there will still be some pow to shred :P
    Very good point about the transition. I think I'm also going to lower the kick to 6 cm, and my goal is to make it a park board, so 148 is about right for all the spinning and jibbing. I'd be doing it in a vacuum bag, if I can get all of the holes sorted out and patched... But the carbon stringer would for sure be going down the middle, I just wasn't sure if adding it to the nose and tail would also be beneficial. Plus, maple is kinda flexier than poplar, correct?
    Finally, I don't know if you know this, but you've helped me out with so many builds and questions that I've had along the way haha. It's an honor to receive advise from such a pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pooping View Post
    Haha, we'll be in Breck for almost a week, and hopefully there will still be some pow to shred :P
    Very good point about the transition. I think I'm also going to lower the kick to 6 cm, and my goal is to make it a park board, so 148 is about right for all the spinning and jibbing. I'd be doing it in a vacuum bag, if I can get all of the holes sorted out and patched... But the carbon stringer would for sure be going down the middle, I just wasn't sure if adding it to the nose and tail would also be beneficial. Plus, maple is kinda flexier than poplar, correct?
    Hopefully you'll hit one of the fat powder dumps! Spring break a few years back I rode 7 out of the 9 days, and 5 of those were 6+ inch days. Make sure your holes are all good to go, that ruined my first board. The carbon stringer should give nice pop for jibbin in the park. Maple can bend farther before breaking... but I'm pretty sure it's stiffer too. It is much, much denser (1.5-2x)!

Quote Originally Posted by Pooping View Post
    Finally, I don't know if you know this, but you've helped me out with so many builds and questions that I've had along the way haha. It's an honor to receive advise from such a pro
    Name:  tumblr_m4cbmkQzOj1rvzu9do1_500.png
Views: 4884
Size:  37.0 KB

Haha. Glad I've been able to help you out! I received such hospitality from AMwood and other greats on here back in my day, I can only return the favor and hope other people are inspired and have as much fun building as I have.
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing a little dry test of my v-lam core gluing rig before I get wet.

Name:  8543629568_68a38a197e.jpg
Views: 4826
Size:  144.3 KB

Who doesn't like pics? Mad clamps ftw

Name:  8543982838_2e46ce10d6.jpg
Views: 4881
Size:  127.5 KB

Red/White is Maple, Blue is Poplar

Name:  8542883527_3174450f90.jpg
Views: 4889
Size:  135.8 KB

From here, one side will get planed flat, and then it'll get profiled. Either by CNC or cradles+planer
    Last edited by frare bear; 03-09-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah teamwork!!! I glued mine up last Friday and had the chance to plane it down today! CNC'ing comes tomorrow!!!
    Name:  IMG_2496.jpg
Views: 4860
Size:  38.7 KBName:  IMG_2505.jpg
Views: 4828
Size:  59.9 KBName:  IMG_2512.jpg
Views: 4860
Size:  24.6 KBName:  IMG_2513.jpg
Views: 4856
Size:  26.7 KB

P.S. Is this the right kind of rice paper?Name:  IMG_2514.jpg
Views: 4816
Size:  29.1 KB