ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default THE Snowboard Building Thread

I searched all through SF, and have joined a few other snowboard forums throughout the interwebs. All of them have disappointing participation rates, and in general the website (search function, organization etc) isn't as good as it is here.

So, here is a thread where we can all post links to info, share our experiences, and post pics of builds. I'll start out with a mini-chronicle of the board I'm working on right now, and post up more pics as I go, I am completely new to this.

ANYONE that has experience, I'd love to hear what you have to say, and see pics of your process and/or results.

Materials, Info, forums:
    snowboardmaterials.com
    blankslateskis.com
    skibuilders.com
    Boardcrafter Snowboard Building - Home

This is my first board, but I'll share what I've learned and accomplished so far. I started with a pre-profiled 164cm core and sidewalls from snowboard materials. I cut the core to a rough shape and attached sidewalls with epoxy. The P-tex sidewalls need to be sanded and heat treated before they are bonded to the wood core.

I wanted a multi-color core without getting epoxy inks for screen printing or paying a lot to get a sublimated base, so I cut three different colors and attached them temporarily with clear packing tape. The fiberglass should hold it all together.

Next up, I bent and attached the metal edges (from blank slate skis). To bend them I made a ghetto rig out of two bolts with various sized washers, clamped in a vice. This allowed me to bend them without messing up the teeth and get some nice smooth bends.

After they were bent to shape, tacked them onto the base with super glue and clamps. You can never have too many clamps!

Next on my agenda: make a mold, wait for my fiberglass to arrive, make tip spacers, and then lay everything up. I'm thinking texalium for the topsheet... we'll see though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: THE Snowboard Building Thread

Switching from Kyle's awesome thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkity View Post
    Haha well, since Kyle is okay with it, I was doing the router bridge method. Stupid me thought I could set up the jig on a couple of sawhorses, but the tops of the sawhorses weren't parallel with each other. I got one side down to the 2mm that I was planning on, but the other side was down to less than 1mm. The only nice thing is that I now know that there is no problem getting ridiculously thin with that method :P And the hot glue that was holding the core down to the supporting wood made those parts a bit higher, so they got a lot thinner than the outside parts.
    That sucks! did you v-lam the core yourself? What kind of wood?

I've read that other people use double sided tape to hold the core in place, that would probably help with the thin spots. When I get around to making a core I'll probably go this same route
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking about building one myself for quite a while now. I think your post is the trigger to get the materials, haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been contemplating building a snowboard for a few winters now, but with information scattered everywhere and not in one coherent thread, I haven't yet.
    This is the start to a great thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    That sucks! did you v-lam the core yourself? What kind of wood?

I've read that other people use double sided tape to hold the core in place, that would probably help with the thin spots. When I get around to making a core I'll probably go this same route
    It was all poplar that I v-lamed together. I figured I'd go with the tried and true combination of poplar and triaxial fiberglass for my first board. I did think of the double-sided tape idea later. Also, does anyone know what's going on with the Graf Snowboards website? I remember it having a bunch of good information, but the website has said, "GRAFSNOWBOARDS.COM is being rebooted." for a couple of months. Also, that tri-color base looks sweet! The edge-bending jig you made up is pretty genius too!

I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand most cores taper in thickness towards the ends, but is this the only reason for v lam, in stead of traditional skateboard lamination?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the V-lam provides more strength at the nose/tail over the same thickness of veneer or h-lam plywood. Since the nose gets down to 2mm, thats just barely over 1/16" and it seems like the grain orientation combined with more glue lines makes it stronger.

Although I read somewhere that it can be done with the typical skate style h-lam... maybe it would have to be a bit thicker? I'm too poor to experiment with it right now, unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by snarkity View Post
    It was all poplar that I v-lamed together. I figured I'd go with the tried and true combination of poplar and triaxial fiberglass for my first board. I did think of the double-sided tape idea later. Also, does anyone know what's going on with the Graf Snowboards website? I remember it having a bunch of good information, but the website has said, "GRAFSNOWBOARDS.COM is being rebooted." for a couple of months. Also, that tri-color base looks sweet! The edge-bending jig you made up is pretty genius too!
    Yea I didn't add graf into the list because their site seems to be down... Idk what's up with that. Thanks, I love the base! And the jig is a version of something posted on skibuilders.com by twizzstyle.

I have my mold getting close to done, should be making a bigger vac bag tomorrow and hopefully (fingers crossed) can get it pressed tomorrow!
    Last edited by frare bear; 11-04-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    @liqwoodboards

Addicted Cruiser Emperor.of.Cats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!
    Ive never vac bagged (we always used heated presses) so Im pretty stoked to see how this comes out.
    I consort with Witches.

O, from this time forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, progress is slower than I had hoped. Which I suppose I should expect, since the first time building anything can be rough.

Emperor, I'd love to see pics of your board and/or press!

Today I got decent progress on the mold made, but had to stop when all my ideas of cutting along the guides failed miserably. I'm either going to make bow-saw with a band saw blade, or decide to dish out some dough to build a legit hotwire cutter. We'll see.

I also got my bag made basically all the way, it's a monster coming in at 30"x80" and I haven't pressure tested it yet (fingers crossed). It's made of 6 mil polyethelene, seams are made with the really sticky sealing tape that never ever comes undone (bought a whole roll of it to find out that it sucks when used on TAP bags) and the re-sealable seam is made with Ted's amazing sealing tape (got a whole roll of that too )

Check out these rad valves I found, same vac-u-vin ones on TAP bags, but with color!

The bag

Valve, any bets if it'll hold?
    @liqwoodboards

Addicted Cruiser Brennig Hughes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see wether the sticky tape works, when I did my searching I found that the only glue that worked decently with polyethylene is some $200, that's why I went down the plastic welding route. I've only used my bag 3 times but it's worked perfectly each time. If the sticky tape doesn't work I'll make a nice tutorial, but if it does that'll be great, welding the bag is quite time consuming the first time but I reckon it'll only take me some 40 minutes to make another one now.

Good luck anyway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the seams are holding up, but there is definitely a leak. I could be wrong but I think it's the valve attachment to the bag that's leaking, I basically just wrapped sealing tape around it.

I need to figure something out that'll work better... I've contemplated sacrificing one of my TAP bags, it has the stupid sticky tape that 's damn near impossible to remove.... just jack the valve assembly from there
    @liqwoodboards

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.... looks like i'm gona build myself a snowboard with my tax return

Longskateaholic Cushioned Concrete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody know anything about building a non-freestyle snowboard (racing/carving board)? Like shapes, materials, etc. I think it would probably not be symmetrical vertically, that's all I know.
    If you've read a post by me and subsequently believe I'm a complete dumbsh*t, you're 100% right.

Addicted Cruiser Brennig Hughes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    I think the seams are holding up, but there is definitely a leak. I could be wrong but I think it's the valve attachment to the bag that's leaking, I basically just wrapped sealing tape around it.

I need to figure something out that'll work better... I've contemplated sacrificing one of my TAP bags, it has the stupid sticky tape that 's damn near impossible to remove.... just jack the valve assembly from there
    You could so the same as I did, buy a breach unit. They're only about $20 (if not less in the US), they provide an airtight seal, my vacuvin had a perfect fit and if you ever consider upgrading to an electric pump you already have the part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched this video and thought it was kind of cool...and well...skateboards and snowboards made it relevant enough for me to give this thread a bump

and this one because alternative material use always get the brain moving

Built not Bought

Studio Wise Design

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AM Wood Skateboard Co View Post
    Hmm.... looks like i'm gona build myself a snowboard with my tax return
    Do it! I bet it would turn out amazing. And I'd love to see/hear how you tackle some of the differences

Quote Originally Posted by Cushioned Concrete View Post
    Anybody know anything about building a non-freestyle snowboard (racing/carving board)? Like shapes, materials, etc. I think it would probably not be symmetrical vertically, that's all I know.
    Yea they are asymmetric, you could find shapes easily with google. Materials I would imagine are very similar, but thicker cores or more composites (uniaxial CF) to make it stiffer than a normal board would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennig Hughes View Post
    You could so the same as I did, buy a breach unit. They're only about $20 (if not less in the US), they provide an airtight seal, my vacuvin had a perfect fit and if you ever consider upgrading to an electric pump you already have the part.
    I very well may have to. I may still sacrifice one bag, because the only composite store is not close at all to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    Just watched this video and thought it was kind of cool...and well...skateboards and snowboards made it relevant enough for me to give this thread a bump
    I love me some ETT! That's pretty much a dream job of mine haha
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! good to see a different board on the fish. I've been building different boards this year. Done a kiteboard and a landboard.

Addicted Cruiser RileyLakeDesign's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352382658.076011.jpg
Views: 109377
Size:  16.6 KB

We built 4 replica Burton Backhills. Not exactly what you are talking about, but maybe interesting for you.

Six plies of maple in a vac bag. All hardware home built.
    Last edited by RileyLakeDesign; 11-08-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    John

Oblique Longboards

Riley Lake Design, LLC

RileyLakeDesign.com

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bahah i totally just forgot.
    I know the guy who rode with sims back in the 70s, lives in the next town over. He supplied the skate decks they screwed to the polyethylene "base"

Bungie cord bindings.. BOSSS

Addicted Cruiser RileyLakeDesign's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My younger brother road a backhill like this in the early 80's up in the UP of Michigan. I remember him bringing it down to Minneapolis and trying it out. It was a big improvement of the Snurfers we had as kids, and my first exposure to what you could call a snowboard.

He sold it while still a college student so he could afford a fiberglass board. And has been kicking himself. So we built some for our selves and my kids. Too bad we had such a lousy snow year last year. These need loose deep snow to work well.
    John

Oblique Longboards

Riley Lake Design, LLC

RileyLakeDesign.com

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS