ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation 2013 "SICKEST Board of '13" Board Building Competition - ENTRY THREAD

NOTE: ONLY POST BOARD ENTRIES IN THIS THREAD.
    Please do not post comments, discussions, teasers, or anything else in this thread.

Comments, discussions, teasers, praises, and all that belong in the following thread:
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...ion-start.html

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Hello again, competition participants and fans! It is now time for everyone's board entries to be revealed!

Here's that pertinent info again:

The Official Rules for Entering:

Theme: Open themed
    Materials: Anything--No limitations
    Method to Build With: Anything--No limitations
    Dimensions: Anything--No limitations
    Finish: Must be ready-to-ride; a complete board with any kind of appropriate, mounted setup
    Required Photos: Must show at least four (4) photos of the board during construction, three (3) photos of the finished board, and one (1) photo of the board being ridden.
    In order to qualify, each individual board entry must meet these photo requirements.

Prizes: Mad amounts of positive reputation and credibility on the forum, as well as the winner's board being dubbed THE SICKEST BOARD OF '13.

Take Note: This board building competition is open to anyone who wants to participate. That said, this competition is mostly directed toward intermediates, the advanced, professionals, "gurus," legendaries, and other board builders with skill.

Please enter this board building competition even if you are afraid of being outdone up by other board builders! (This is all for fun, after all!)

Important Dates
    Friday, March 8th - The competition officially begins.
    Friday, April 12th - An official entry thread will be posted.
    Friday, September 13th - The official entry thread will close.
    Saturday, September 14th - An official public voting thread will be posted. Participants will be privately messaged their special voting ballots at or soon after this day.
    Saturday, September 21st - The official public voting thread will close. Special voting ballots will be due this day.
    Sunday, September 22nd - The official winner will be declared in a new thread.

Voting Instructions
    Participants will receive a private message asking for their top five picks. Primary picks are worth three points, secondary are worth two, and tertiary are worth one point each.
    Those who did not enter a board will be able to vote in the voting thread created the same day using a voting poll.
    Participants cannot vote for themselves and are not allowed to vote in the public voting polls.
    Please take note on the requirements for board entry above (indicated in red). In order for your board entry(s) to qualify, you must fulfill these requirements. Due to the massive turnout expected for this competition, I cannot provide any leeway this time.

Remember: This Entry Thread will be open from today, April 12th, until five months from now, on September 13th. This is a long time, so please do not feel rushed to throw up your stuff too early. Perhaps some may take the time to make a Version 2 of their board entry, or perhaps they will decide to wet sand and buff for 5 months straight! Who knows.

Please feel free to continue depositing teasers in the following original Start thread:

Please post one board entry per post. This will help spread out board entries and potentially help individuals who may have one unlikable board paired with a highly desirable one (the psychological/marketing association principle).

And lastly, feel free to blast participants with positive rep.
    This September, one participant's board entry will be dubbed "THE SICKEST BOARD OF '13."
    Stay tuned...

THIS ENTRY THREAD IS NOW OFFICIALLY: OPEN!
    Last edited by mbease; 04-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2013 "SICKEST Board of '13" Board Building Competition - ENTRY THREAD

...no-one wants to go first?

Ok, ok, I'll go. Jords Boards first entry: The MadMonkey Howler, an LDP deck.

Name:  885268_10100491303930353_451014812_o.jpg
Views: 69997
Size:  127.7 KB

I've actually built 4 of these since the contest start thread was first posted back in May, and I'm using the Roarockit large TAP kit. The first press I did, the geometry wasn't what I was looking for so I adjusted the length, width, and tail drop, and made a new template and a new mold. The most recent 3 presses are from that second mold, are the sum of my first entry, and all share the same stats:

Flex 2, 8ply Maple
    Length - 38"
    EFP - 26"
    Width (at widest point of wings at front) - 11"
    Width (at narrowest point of waist) - 8.5"
    Width (at widest point of hips) - 10.25"
    Height - ~4" (or less, depending on your set up)
    Wheelbase - 32.5"
    Weight - ~5lbs

13 degree wedge built into the front
    Slight drop (3/4") and dewedge in the back
    No camber or concave (aside from the tub-cave/gas pedal wings)
    Wheel wells front and back
    Howler graphic, lettering and numbering all hand-painted

Here's a shot down the nose of one after cutting and shaping but before painting:

Name:  208934_440998715974381_204768449_n.jpg
Views: 57554
Size:  29.4 KB

Here's a pic of me and my distance-riding pals, including my rider Raul (giving me bunny ears), at the Cruza Palooza in Siesta key last weekend before the start of the 13 mile race. I got second for the women's division riding the Howler, and Raul finished 7th overall riding his Howler (5th in sponsored riders).

Name:  cruza.jpg
Views: 59629
Size:  75.6 KB

And another shot of the Howlers in Siesta Key (Raul's has the rear wheel wells, and deeper wells on the front):

Name:  howlers.jpg
Views: 5559
Size:  43.4 KB

My FB page has a ton more pics to satisfy the in-progress pic requirements, it's just easier to send folks over there if that's ok:
    Jords Boards FB

I also have building and painting vids, and the decks being ridden at various stages on my YouTube channel:
    Jords Boards YouTube

Lastly, the Howler I'm building now has been donated to the prize stash at the 5K and 10K race in Clermont FL at the end of this month. The race is being organized by the Ian Tilmann Foundation and has a number of pro vendor sponsors including Sector 9, Bern, Loaded, Otang, and the IDSA. This deck will have some tweaks to the monkey painting to reflect the event, and is the prize for the girl GROM/YA who finishes with the most points in the distance races, slalom, and dancing contests:

The Clermont 5K and 10K Skate
    -Jord
    www.facebook.com/JordsBoards
    www.youtube.com/user/jordsboards

4. 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Reason
    Deleted at poster's request.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2013 "SICKEST Board of '13" Board Building Competition - ENTRY THREAD

Here we go. If you like what you see, head over to Facebook and check out everything else I've done. I'll try to keep the reading to a minimum so you can focus on all the pretty pictures. The techniques used in this method have been months in the making, but I feel I've found a very solid skillset to work off of now. I started with a 5'X5' sheet of 1/8" Baltic Birch and chopped it up into 4 12"x48" strips. Those all went into the trusty vac bag.

No one cares about that, though. The one thing that is interesting people most, and I hope keeps setting me apart, is the use of special composites. Used on this deck is some lightning strike carbon fiber. I took the newly created blank and laminated the carbon fiber onto it using some 12,500 cps epoxy resin.

I let the initial wetlay cure for a good 24 hours, then scuffed it back with some 220 grit sandpaper to get a nice and uniform surface for the proceeding layers.

During the second gloss coat, I laid a sheet of mylar over the board to give it a smooth, glossy surface without the use of wetsanding. Such a nifty trick, thanks goes to Cadenc for showing me the technique!

Concave shot of the blank

Here it is getting hacked and chopped at

Smoothed and sanded

And here are the wheelwells. I came in with a router then cleaned them up with an orbital sander.

Please like: http://www.facebook.com/TriplePeakBoards
    Official Update Thread: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-manufacturers/310629-triple-peak-skate.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShredTheGnar101 View Post
    Don't even try to reason with this Harbert character.
    Quote Originally Posted by gato7 View Post
    I've gone 60mph before at the camp I went to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many pictures, have to double post.

And the finished product!

Specs:
    37" long
    29" wheelbase
    9.5" wide
    9/16" radial tub concave

So there ya go! Let me know what you think; I always appreciate feedback!
    Please like: http://www.facebook.com/TriplePeakBoards
    Official Update Thread: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-manufacturers/310629-triple-peak-skate.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShredTheGnar101 View Post
    Don't even try to reason with this Harbert character.
    Quote Originally Posted by gato7 View Post
    I've gone 60mph before at the camp I went to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^can we get some more close up pics of that cloth? it looks rad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is my first entry for the build off. The press I made for this shape I designed in solidworks and I used a lasercutter to make the ribs. for the bottom I make a v-lam sheet.

ok here come the pictures

I made the v-lam pieces by cutting a 3mm birch mutliplex to 4cm wide strips and the darker pieces from a solid hardwood beam.

Before I press the sheets together into shape I glassed the bottem along with the graphics.

In the press it goes

Out the press it goes

The w-concave is still in the shape. I was worried that I didn't take enough springback into acount but I'am satisfide with the result.

I designed a shape in solidworks and printed out the outline. This is the first template I made.

The usual decks I make have big wheel cutouts so I never made any wheelwells into the deck. So this was a first for me. I drilled the truck holes and mounted my trucks with some centrax wraped with griptape. With the bushings removed I took a drill and leaned the hanger to sand the wheelwells.

specs
    95cm long
    23cm wide

bear 852
    centrax 77m
    tekton bearings
    hammer griptape
    Last edited by maikasylva; 04-13-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: one more pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're in with two boards. Did I miss anything or why do people post pics of finished boards already?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aerkenemesis View Post
    We're in with two boards. Did I miss anything or why do people post pics of finished boards already?
    As it says in the title of this thread, and throughout the original post, this is the Entry Thread for the competition.
    Only board entries belong in this thread.

This goes to everyone (as the very first line in this thread suggests):
    Please refrain from posting anything other than actual, full board entries in this thread.

All comments, questions, discussions, teasers, praises, opt-ins, revelations, random spouting, and anything that is not a board entry belongs in the following thread:

(Please do not respond in this thread)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build pics finished pics
    and a little house riding because it still seems to be winter outside (loop hole) solid curly maple Stained orange with purple heart inlay
    47" overall
    33" wb
    8" 1/2 width in the middle
    Charger 2's rads and reds
    Last edited by drejk; 04-15-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    "!FORK IT!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well here we go!

This is technically my 3rd ever build (second one with a press).

I started off making a dimm press for this build. I had experimented with making dimm press on my previous board, I made a few mistakes and wanted to change that. It took a little bit of time cutting out the foam with a hand saw, especially because I was putting 1/2 inch of concave into the press. I also had the idea to put some camber into the board by bending the whole press.

I got the whole board cut out and checked the concave and the camber. The concave is perfect being around 3/8 of an inch. The camber came out a lot less then I expected, but I'd rather have a little bit then too much.

This was the first time I was going to fiberglass as well. I got some Research Epoxy and 9 oz. Bi-axial glass to try. It went pretty good with it being my first time. I also ordered some rice paper and printed a custom graphic onto it. Overall it worked pretty well, I have learned a few things from it too.

My next step was the graphic on the top of the board. I decided to print out a templete and then cut it out on the board. After I got it all cut I used some water based stain. It turned out great and now I love working with stains.

I slapped on another layer of epoxy and used my trusty tread tex to put a nice natural clear grip tape on the top.

And now it's finished! So here is some eye candy.

Board:
    37"
    9"
    3/8" concave
    lil' bit of camber

3 plys of 1/8 baltic birch

Zig Zags
    Radal R-II trucks.

If you want to chat about my board or give me any feedback you can post here:
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...post1299754447
    Last edited by doublea06; 04-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Human Popsicle I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit april 20th: im rebellious, thus why i posted (nah missed the very first line in the thread, oh the joys of rum)
    Last edited by Loki440; 04-20-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: cause i can

The only competition in life is yourself, but be warned it loves to throw challenges in your face, just to make it a fun experience..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki440 View Post
    looking good so far cant wait for the rest of the entries, im hoping to be able to enter in the last end of all of this, but we will see (more than likely not ) so im just gonna have to be jealous of all you, keep it up
    [QUOTE=mbease;1299751659]NOTE: ONLY POST BOARD ENTRIES IN THIS THREAD.
    Please do not post comments, discussions, teasers, or anything else in this thread.
    Check my work out at:

https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaBloomfieldPhotogrpahy
    Flickr.com/photos/joshuabloomfieldphotography
    http://500px.com/JoshuaBloomfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first entry, I had to dodge rain to get the last pic in but finally snuck it through. I'm not expecting too much from it here, but it turned out better than I thought and I only have two other candidates so here it is.
    With distance pushing in mind, I tried pressing my first drop. I'll call it a partial success, I didn't quite get the drop height I was after, but it's not bad. Because the wood I use is thicker than most I had to use mainly cross grains to do this. I also attempted a hollow core, meaning specifically that the inside third of the board has 40% of the material removed. A layer of 10oz uni-carbon under my 6oz 4x4twill weave was used to stiffen her back up.

In the press, It was a pretty rudimentary design so dug into the foam a bit. Learning curve for my drops
    Name:  DSC02838 (800x600).jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  58.1 KB

The blank came out with some tantalizing curves for me.
    Name:  DSC02840 (800x600).jpg
Views: 4763
Size:  36.0 KB

All shaped and getting inspected before glass and carbon.
    Name:  DSC02843 (800x600).jpg
Views: 4774
Size:  52.9 KB

Layers of carbon on the underside.
    Name:  DSC02845 (800x600).jpg
Views: 4765
Size:  67.9 KB

And a 8oz glass for the top. The colour is red stain up front that gently fades into orange at the tail.
    Name:  DSC02847 (800x600).jpg
Views: 4789
Size:  60.8 KB

Post-trimming, sanding, electrocution and grip. The rails have been stained red all the way round.
    Name:  DSC02864 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 4712
Size:  38.8 KB
    Continued next post
    https://www.facebook.com/JuiceBoards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the look and feel of the carbon, so I only used a small logo to contrast it. A few light coats of poly preserved the feel and kept weight down but are still enough to protect the fibres from scratches. I can’t get over how much I actually love this weave
    Name:  DSC02865 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5408
Size:  66.0 KB
    And here's a carbon close up
    Name:  DSC02855 (600x800).jpg
Views: 4688
Size:  25.2 KB

Risers and the drop get the platform nice and low for pushing. The rail looks a bit messy here, but this is just after a damp ride so they do clean up better than this.
    Name:  DSC02866 (800x600).jpg
Views: 4694
Size:  83.4 KB

I took it for a 10mile ride earlier today as its first real journey. It feels so nice to push as a combination of ride height, weight and flex. It felt like it could have kept going forever, but then I got rained on again :/ Currently setup with Randal 180’s, 83mm 78a Flywheels, and Zealous.
    Name:  DSC02887a (800x600).jpg
Views: 4721
Size:  62.4 KB

Specs are as follows.
    Length: 39”
    Width: 9” tapers to 8”
    WB: 31.5”
    EFP: 25”
    Ride height for the current setup is 2.5”
    With the hollow core, the weight comes in at 1300g, or 2.85lbs.

And that’s my first effort. Be kind but don’t hold back criticism, I need it or else I go nowhere ?
    https://www.facebook.com/JuiceBoards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got one done for a build off! What??
    Also the board I am currently most proud of
    There was a woodworking competition in Missouri today that consisted of all of the Highschool's best stuff (Regional) and it qualified for state so I guess some other people are pretty impressed too.

SPECS:
    36 Long x 10 Wide at Widest point
    1/2 inch rocker
    2/3 inch concave with 1/4 inch W (Kinda steep but it mellowed out at the ends and actually feels really good)
    1/4 inch 3D wheel wells

CNC'd MDF press:
    Name:  IMG_2753.jpg
Views: 56112
Size:  62.7 KBName:  IMG_2756.jpg
Views: 57588
Size:  21.4 KB

Laser engraved graphic:
    Name:  IMG_2762.jpg
Views: 55121
Size:  47.5 KB

Pressing the Board:
    Name:  IMG_2767.jpg
Views: 64736
Size:  78.1 KBName:  IMG_2769.jpg
Views: 55503
Size:  68.2 KB

Cut out Raw:
    Name:  IMG_2777.jpg
Views: 56545
Size:  51.9 KB

OOOOooooh.. I may have to triple post for this... sorry
    I'll cut down as much as I can but I wanna get in my process

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time using router for anything. Like. Anything Ever (I think it turned out pretty well, thanks to the 'fish) :Name:  IMG_2779.jpg
Views: 55961
Size:  41.5 KBName:  IMG_2784.jpg
Views: 62501
Size:  65.7 KBName:  IMG_2789.jpg
Views: 48082
Size:  38.7 KB

Fiberglassed:
    Name:  IMG_2792.jpg
Views: 58021
Size:  53.3 KB

Annnnnnnnnd of course some beauty shots. Just got some Death Reys and These wheels and pretty much could not be happier with my setup

Name:  IMG_2799.jpg
Views: 52165
Size:  48.8 KBName:  IMG_2804.jpg
Views: 51429
Size:  27.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MOAR BEAUTY SHOTS:

Name:  IMG_2801.jpg
Views: 49557
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2802.jpg
Views: 51419
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2803.jpg
Views: 53608
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2805.jpg
Views: 54791
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2807.jpg
Views: 55517
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2808.jpg
Views: 56855
Size:  47.3 KB

Also, it's 8 plies of sixteenth inch maple

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah what???? Two weeks two builds two posts??? Alright!

So, this is my V-Lam H-lam build that may have been seen in the thinking stage by some of you, with a ton of inspiration from Acid Longboards. It turned out pretty darn solid and I'm really proud of it, even though I made a lot of dumb mistakes on the way. Also, state for this highschool woodworking competition was this Tuesday at the Lake of the Ozarks, and I got first place in my division for these last two boards. Just to brag a little :P

SO, this was made with mainly maple, a little bit of poplar (to lessen the weight), and to make it pretty some Padouk and Bamboo! I wish I could make every board from now on with this process, and see just how much I can get away with, but I won't have access to a quality workshop after school's over
    Anywho, the board layers were all designed so that none of the glue lines overlap, kinda like bricks, and so that the maple is in points where damage is more likely (Truck mounts and edges).
    Name:  IMG_2752.jpg
Views: 53527
Size:  22.6 KB

This is the amount of wood that went into it, just so you can see how much gluing I had to do... It was terrible... haha
    Name:  IMG_2675.jpg
Views: 49352
Size:  43.4 KB

And the three plies that were glued together, and then sanded down to an 1/8th of an inch
    Name:  IMG_2689.jpg
Views: 52833
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2690.jpg
Views: 46598
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2691.jpg
Views: 51643
Size:  38.1 KB

The press was a pretty simple one, since I knew I wouldn't be able to get away with too many bends. Just a half inch rocker and 2/3 concave, with an attempt at wheel wells, though it didn't work... but at least it didn't work evenly!

Name:  IMG_2824.jpg
Views: 47854
Size:  32.8 KB

To be continued

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annnnnnnnnd more pictures of it getting pressed:

Name:  IMG_2825.jpg
Views: 49680
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2827.jpg
Views: 43313
Size:  55.1 KB

And chalk-lined the center line, traced on design, and cut.

Name:  IMG_2831.jpg
Views: 47383
Size:  31.0 KB

Then glassed everything with 22 oz. Triaxial Fiberglass, which was complete overkill because it was already 10 x strong enough. And I kinda regret doing it because it didn't go completely clear

Name:  IMG_2838.jpg
Views: 49987
Size:  37.1 KB

And got some Preeeeeeety shots
    Plus Death Reys and new Volante's make anything beautiful.
    AND FLOWERS

Name:  IMG_2911.jpg
Views: 46067
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2913.jpg
Views: 47413
Size:  130.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last post I promise

So, you may have noticed the metal plates under the trucks... Well... I tried to router the dropthrough holes for the first time, and the router slipped :/

Name:  IMG_2835.jpg
Views: 49955
Size:  36.6 KB

So I made these!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  IMG_2925.jpg
Views: 52535
Size:  45.1 KB

And then drilled some holes and shined em' up!

Name:  IMG_2924.jpg
Views: 48694
Size:  39.3 KB
    So shiny...................

And it covers it up pretty well!

Name:  IMG_2915.jpg
Views: 43029
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2916.jpg
Views: 58630
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2919.jpg