ADVERTISEMENT

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I will answer any questions about using composite fabrics in board building!

Quote Originally Posted by AM Wood Skateboard Co View Post
    No kidding.

For glass work I prefer a slightly higher viscosity laminating resin than most on the market. Helps to keep the resin in the weave when under heavy pressure when doing in-press lamination.
    For wood on wood, I use high strength "performance" laminating resin thickened up with fumed silica. Works great, but under that much pressure it still seeps through veneers even when thickened.

Not so interested in UV stability as all my stuff is coated with polyurethane.

Also going to start playing with urethane laminating resins. Look super interesting.
    Hope you always wear a respirator when working with fumed silica.

What exactly would be the problem with epoxy seeping through the veneers? Does it just make it messy, or stick to the mold, or does it negatively affect the bond?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I will answer any questions about using composite fabrics in board building!

Quote Originally Posted by GooberSmoocher View Post
    Hope you always wear a respirator when working with fumed silica.

What exactly would be the problem with epoxy seeping through the veneers? Does it just make it messy, or stick to the mold, or does it negatively affect the bond?
    Nope, just bury my face in the bucket and breath it in.

It adds excess weight, can interferer with graphics if done pre-pressing and can pose problems with finishing if using a veneer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a deck of mine recently got curbed, chipping diagonally up through the core, and forced the top layer of carbon to de-laminate on the front, about an inch down the deck. It's all in front of the trucks so still rides fine, but wondering if anyone has had their fabrics de-laminate from the core before?

Would roughening up the veneers before I glue them do the job? Used hoop pine, epoxy, carbon and a dimm press.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you please recommend an epoxy for use with carbon and glass on maple? Thanks! Cheaper is better but hey quality is the most important as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by aFoolOnAHill View Post
    I also support checking yer nuts... even double checking. You can never be too familiar with yer nuts and bolts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like this is a stupid question, but maybe not.
    If I were to make two identical decks except one had 7 plies of 1/16 maple, and the other board replaced the two face plies with this. Which board would be stronger and would it be much stronger?

I'm assuming the glassed board would be stronger, but I have no idea by how much of a difference it would make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were to make two identical decks except one had 7 plies of 1/16 maple, and the other board replaced the two face plies with this. Which board would be stronger and would it be much stronger?

I'm assuming the glassed board would be stronger, but I have no idea by how much of a difference it would make.
    You would probably want to replace the veneer with carbon, not fiberglass.

Is your name a King Of The Hill reference
    I don't even skate

Gunmetal-Road Rider-Gullwing-Sayshun-Earthwing-Sector9-Abec11-Riptide-Venom-Riot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, one 7-ply board vs an identically shaped 5-ply deck plus glass?

The 7-ply will be stronger and stiffer. The biggest factor in this equation (both literally and figuratively) is the thickness of the deck. 5-plies is extremely thin to not be using Carbon Fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I have never worked with glass at all, and I am rather ignorant when it comes to it.

So 5 plies with top and bottom triaxial glass would be weaker than just 7 plies of maple.

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of adding glass then. Including the epoxy and all is a sheet of glass significantly lighter than a sheet of wood? So that weight for weight it ends up being significantly stronger? If not, then why ever use glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, there are lots of terms and technicalities involved with a subject like this... but here we go.

- Weight for weight, I'd say glass is stronger, but wood is stiffer. Which means the board with glass would bend more than the all wood one, but it would take more weight to break it.
    - Let's pretend glass is like adding a half ply of wood. So if you took the 5-ply board with glass it comes out to "6" plies... roughly.
    - Glass is best used increase the strength of a regular (strong enough on it's own) deck. So, for instance, making a 7-ply deck "7.5" ply to either slightly increase the stiffness, or increase the maximum load bearing weight.
    - If you have a 7-ply deck that isn't stiff enough, add an 8th ply of wood. Add to the structure itself rather than add a structural reinforcement.
    - Glass is highly desirable in cases where you want flexible boards that won't break. For example, dancers, bamboo cruisers, Loaded decks. Also good for reducing torsional twisting or splitting during pressing (in the case of bamboo).
    - The bending force truck-to-truck is much larger than the forces applied from rail-to-rail. So, if you'd like to optimize your wood and glass use, I'd recommend a 4-5 ply deck, with a 3-4 ply stringer, covered with triaxial glass. This way you get the wood (best way to get stiffness) where you need across the length, and the glass helps to mitigate the smaller forces over the thinner part of the deck.

Personally, I don't like using glass unless I'm making a board for a heavyweight, or a flexible dancer, or a snowboard. Wood has very good properties on it's own, and is more fun/easier to work with than glass, safer, less itchy, quicker, and just as strong as it needs to be.

Idk if that covered what you want to know; feel free to ask more questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome response!
    Thank you so much, that helped to clear things up a ton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i wanted to put some composites on an omen trud to make it last long because i cant really afford to buy boards everytime i thrash them, so i want to put that carbon basalt twill sheet that was posted earlier and put a sheet of fiberglass on another side, and i was most likely going to put tail pucks and rails on it to avoid grinding through the fabric, but anyway i just wanted to know if i should put the carbon or the fiberglass on the roadside of the board
    -thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just discovered this thread, but I have an ever expanding fascination with composite work, so I hope I can stick around and help in any way, as well as learn some new tricks. Subbing for future reference.
    Please like: http://www.facebook.com/TriplePeakBoards
    Official Update Thread: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-manufacturers/310629-triple-peak-skate.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShredTheGnar101 View Post
    Don't even try to reason with this Harbert character.
    Quote Originally Posted by gato7 View Post
    I've gone 60mph before at the camp I went to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just hoping someone could answer this but i have built my firsts composute longboard out of wood and carbon but it was kinda shitty wood and its a bit flew so i wanted to use canadian maple for my next build and i wanted to have wood plys with fibre glass sandwiched in between and 2 layers of carbon on the bottom, so how many layers of wood should i have and how many layers of carbon in between? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One S using Silverfish Longboarding mobile app

We build your board Concrete Kahuna AM Wood Skateboard Co's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kris chambers View Post
    Just hoping someone could answer this but i have built my firsts composute longboard out of wood and carbon but it was kinda shitty wood and its a bit flew so i wanted to use canadian maple for my next build and i wanted to have wood plys with fibre glass sandwiched in between and 2 layers of carbon on the bottom, so how many layers of wood should i have and how many layers of carbon in between? Thanks!

Board building is a constant learning experience, best way to learn is to do.

Composites become stiff when the thickness of the core is increased. Thicker the core, the stiffer the end structure.
    By putting glass in between the layers of wood, the thickness of the core (area between the composite skins) would only be 1/16".

Putting glass in between plies is a waste, it would add weight without adding much stiffness. If you want to make a stiffer board, put the glass on the outside of the board.

The flex of the board would depend on, how thick it is, what concave does it have, the wheel base and the weight of glass or carbon. More concave and shorter wheelbase = stiffer, thicker = stiffer, heavier weight fabric = stiffer.

You will need to be careful when using 1/16" material. It requires a very accurate press, vacuum pressing is a very good way of going about it, and it's cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AM Wood Skateboard Co View Post
    Board building is a constant learning experience, best way to learn is to do.

Composites become stiff when the thickness of the core is increased. Thicker the core, the stiffer the end structure.
    By putting glass in between the layers of wood, the thickness of the core (area between the composite skins) would only be 1/16".

Putting glass in between plies is a waste, it would add weight without adding much stiffness. If you want to make a stiffer board, put the glass on the outside of the board.

The flex of the board would depend on, how thick it is, what concave does it have, the wheel base and the weight of glass or carbon. More concave and shorter wheelbase = stiffer, thicker = stiffer, heavier weight fabric = stiffer.

You will need to be careful when using 1/16" material. It requires a very accurate press, vacuum pressing is a very good way of going about it, and it's cheap.
    Thanks alot!! Couldnt have asked for a better answer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have a few quetions. I'm kind of new to composites and I was thinking about this layout

BB
    FB
    BB
    FB
    BB
    FB

With bb being baltic birch and fb being fiberglass. I'm trying to have a fair amount of flex, just a bit less than a flex 2 loaded board. Would this work or would I have to add a layer to the top? Is having glass between plys useless? Also, Ive seen a lot of different resins and epoxys. Firstly which one is the best for board making? Secondly, I know some of them can stain the board but I was wondering if you had natural wood and paint if the paint would look good even with the slight stain. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Silverfish Longboarding mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditch the middle glass - it won't do anything. As for the top layer, it will be doing little under the thickness of a ply. Best use would be to chuck it on the top, with a smooth mirror finish. This will make the glass more effective and give a good surface for the grip tape to grab to.

What thickness is the bb ply, and weight/weave glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double post... Can I delete it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steezbutter View Post
    I just have a few quetions. I'm kind of new to composites and I was thinking about this layout

BB
    FB
    BB
    FB
    BB
    FB

With bb being baltic birch and fb being fiberglass. I'm trying to have a fair amount of flex, just a bit less than a flex 2 loaded board. Would this work or would I have to add a layer to the top? Is having glass between plys useless?
    Read the previous comments just above your post before asking your questions, because they were literally just answered.

Also, Ive seen a lot of different resins and epoxys.
    Well... Epoxy is a resin.

Firstly which one is the best for board making?
    There are three main types of resin: Vinylester, Polyester, and Epoxy. Stay as far away from Vinylester as you can for board building; it has the weakest chemical bond of the three. Polyester has decent bonding capabilities, but in general is not only very toxic, but mainly used in interior bonding, meaning it has very unappealing cosmetic finishes. Also, if you're getting any sort of yellowing or greening from your resins, it's most often polyester and not epoxy. Lastly, you're left with epoxy resin. This is the stuff you want to use, as it has the strongest bonding capabilities, forms a virtually leak-proof barrier, and depending on the type of resin you use, will give off a very smooth and unblushed finish. I use Kleer Koat tabletop epoxy, which has a very high viscosity and relatively short cure time as opposed to other epoxies. It also cures clear and rigid. Read reviews, test them out yourself. Some people prefer smoother epoxies; I like the thick stuff.

Secondly, I know some of them can stain the board but I was wondering if you had natural wood and paint if the paint would look good even with the slight stain. Thanks
    Again, yellowing or staining in the resin is usually unavoidable if you're picking a resin that contains those chemicals. Many manufacturers tell you on their website which resins amber when cured and which remain clear. If your resin stains when cured, nothing you do under the board will stop it from doing so. Best to just buy a clear curing resin outright and not worry about the mess.
    Please like: http://www.facebook.com/TriplePeakBoards
    Official Update Thread: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-manufacturers/310629-triple-peak-skate.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShredTheGnar101 View Post
    Don't even try to reason with this Harbert character.
    Quote Originally Posted by gato7 View Post
    I've gone 60mph before at the camp I went to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, forgot to check if the questions were already answered. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my HTC One using Silverfish Longboarding mobile app

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS