ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone have any experience using materials other than maple/baltic birch veneer?

Hey all,

I'm looking to start a new project building a longboard out of alternative materials, preferably wood grown locally, so my options are ash, beech, European elm and oak, and sycamore. There are some other options too, but was wondering if anyone has any experience working with veneers of these species? Would rather gather some board building specific info before going out and buying a load of wood that may be useless!

Any help is much appreciated!

Sam

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone have any experience using materials other than maple/baltic birch veneer?

Where do you live?
    ROAROCKIT

TOLL FREE NUMBER FOR USA AND CANADA
    1 888 857 7790

GREAT PRICES ON MAPLE, BIRCH AND BAMBOO VENEERS

Innovative Tools for Boardbuilding
    NEW 3 STEP DROP THROUGH TEMPLATE
    DOUBLE BEARING ROUTER BIT SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR ROUNDING SKATEBOARDS

Check us out at Roarockit.ca in Canada - Roarockit.com in USA - Roarockit.eu in Europe
    - Roarockit.co.uk in the United Kingdom - Australianskateboardkits.com in Australia

We are a Social Minded, 100% Boardbuilding Company

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone have any experience using materials other than maple/baltic birch veneer?

If you live in the US or Canada, check out some of the online suppliers in this thread.
    https://www.silverfishlongboarding.c...suppliers.html

You can find some good deals online for maple (its cheaper for me to buy maple online than baltic birch locally), and it really is the standard board building wood for good reason. Check out Ted's post for the roarockit info if you want good reliable wood.

If you are dead set on the woods you listed, I would go with Ash. I have not worked with it in veneer form, but I made a vlam with it and it was a great alternative to maple for the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the heads up about Ash, will give it a try!

Sadly not North America based at all, currently living in the UK and don't really want to be importing wood from halfway around the world, plus I've also heard about increasing maple deforestation from the skate industry hence my interest in trying new materials out. Also just thinking it will be fun to try something new!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaveManSam View Post
    Cheers for the heads up about Ash, will give it a try!

Sadly not North America based at all, currently living in the UK and don't really want to be importing wood from halfway around the world, plus I've also heard about increasing maple deforestation from the skate industry hence my interest in trying new materials out. Also just thinking it will be fun to try something new!
    Trying new stuff is awesome! Good work.

Have you thought about doing a v-lam board? That way you don't need veneers, just lumber.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ted has a good idea/\

Here's what you can do like that
    Name:  Anthony's board 001.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  57.2 KB
    "I knew Joe Iacovelli; Joe Iacovelli was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Joe Iacovelli."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also use resin soaked cardboard. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlKWBLO9ZI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momona Boe, absolutely beautiful board, would love to create something like this! And thanks LittleLeaf for the vid, really cool! I love working with wood so will stick with that for now, when I've had a bit more practise maybe I'll look into cardboard
    Last edited by CaveManSam; 02-23-2017 at 01:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always use Ash. Works great.
    What's the worst that could happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen.mhsrider View Post
    today someone yelled at me to stop pushing mongo and threw a sandwich at me :(

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS