ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how to fill narrow cracks?

I want to fill the cracks in this board to finish it. I'm used to relaminating decks and patching large cracks. I tried the carpenter trick of mixing wood glue with saw dust. I know that is more ascetic than structural. It didn't work as well I as I had hoped.

I considered making wood powder (very fine) as apposed to dust, and just filling the gaps with glue or maybe "wood weld" and just rubbing the powder over the top. any suggestions on how to fill the cracks to accept paint, or maybe stain.

I'm not sure why some of the deck is so much paler than the rest of the wood, it isn't wet, the cracks prove that. The deck was stored in a stack in the rafters since my relative stopped skating. He's in his 50's so that was a while ago.
    I intend to use this old 9 inch deck for commuting instead of pool skating.

Name:  all.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  110.2 KB
    Name:  222.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  64.3 KB

If Your interested I plan on using colored grip tape to fill the top and paint/stain for the bottom, with rib bones bent to make the skeleton.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: how to fill narrow cracks?

Honestly, I would give it a very light sanding, coat it with PU and leave it be. I like the cracks, they give the board character. Like the wrinkles or scars you get with age. Its proof that that board has been around...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: how to fill narrow cracks?

Those cracks are from the wood drying out over time, this makes them pretty difficult to actually repair. I think your best bet is going to be a varnish like Varathane. It will seal the surface and give you a little smoother finish. You might try steel wool instead of sandpaper prior to applying whatever sealant you decide to go with.
    No matter what I think your paint job will suffer some loss of detail. The smoother you make that wood the more paint you are going to be removing. You could try reapplying some paint if you are so inclined with a small detailing brush but I think it will be pretty hard to keep the graphic crisp. Good luck with your project, post some pics!
    I've been 19 longer'n you've been alive - me

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS