ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default composites question

Hey guys,

I've build three boards before out of 1/8" multiplex, it wasn't not BB, but it's good stuff! I think it's some kind of hardwood.
    I'm planning on building a 4th, a dancer to be precise, something around 41" in lenght, and 9" wide, with a wheelbase of 25".
    I'm 130lbs, and am looking for some flex, but not too much.
    Since i want to step up my game a bit, i would like to use some fiberglass in this board, but i have no access to a vacuum bag.
    I was thinking about using a two part mold, CNC'ed out of cheap pink insulation foam.
    This was the layup i had in mind.

1/8" multiplex
    8oz UD fiberglass
    1/8" multiplex
    8oz UD fiberglass
    1/8" multiplex
    some type of fabric with some type of motif, as decoration, or a picture of some sort.
    10oz twill weave fiberglass

Ofcourse, i would do the sandwich between the multiplex first, let it cure, take it out of the mold, and lay the fabric and the 10 oz fiberglass on. Should i do these two at the same time, or do them separately? I was thinking separately, but i'm not sure.

Do you guys think this would work, the layup, and the 'mold' idea?

Thanks!!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: composites question

No idea what multiplex is but it doesn't sound like a real wood.
    Check for the composites thread. Fg outside, wrapping the wood core is the norm and it makes sense.
    And how will you get pressure using a 2 part foam mold? Consider a tap bag..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerflaw View Post
    No idea what multiplex is but it doesn't sound like a real wood.
    Check for the composites thread. Fg outside, wrapping the wood core is the norm and it makes sense.
    And how will you get pressure using a 2 part foam mold? Consider a tap bag..
    Sorry, my fault, i'm in Europe and we like to call plywood multiplex, but it's the same thing.
    I did some research and found out it's made of lauan.

I mean a press, instead of a mold, sorry. something like this, but out of foam.
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/a...P1000021-1.jpg
    This would work fine for just plywood, but i was wondering if you could sandwich FG between your plywood using this.
    I've considered a tap bag, but i don't really have the money for it right now.
    i've also done quite a bit of research already, using the search function but I couldn't really find the answer to these questions..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allright, i ditched the idea of the FG between the wood, i'll only do the it on the bottom.
    However, I still don't know whether I should epoxy the fabric with the motif and the FG on at the same time, or do them seperately. (Without a vac bag) Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a solid 2 part mold. I doubt a foam version would be strong enough for bending 3mm plywood.
    Might work, since a dancer doesn't need deep bends or much concave. Make sure to use some film/plastic between the project and the mold and it should work fine. I wouldn't bother using fg betwean the plies. Top and bottom only.
    Good luck man!

Edit:
    https://www.silverfishlongboarding.c...-building.html
    Last edited by tigerflaw; 01-15-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice!! I might post some pictures of the build process, and the finished result. But we'll see how it turns out.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS