ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Are You Guys Making Templates?

I've been looking at how everyone makes templates, and besides people just drawing they're shape by hand, how are you guys doing it? I see everyone saying to use Sketchup or other programs along those lines, but what about for people like me that have absolutely no experience or knowledge in how to use those programs? I've spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out how to use Sketchup, and I've been googling, and it hasn't helped at all. Are there not any simple line drawing programs?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How Are You Guys Making Templates?

How about a pencil, a compass and a ruler?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you could use the program Paint.Net. I made 3 templates on it before and don't have any experience. Every program is fairly easy to use now because of all the tutorials on YouTube.

But as tigerflaw said, just use a pencil and a ruler. Do it the good old fashion way.

Sent from my iPhone using Silverfish Longboarding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerflaw View Post
    Thats what I've done till now, but I want to have the template on file on my computer so 1. I can keep everything more organized, and 2. so I can just print off whatever template it is I'm wanting to use whenever I need it, instead of trying to keep a paper template from (for instance) 4 months ago in perfect shape so I can use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoard500 View Post
    Well, you could use the program Paint.Net. I made 3 templates on it before and don't have any experience. Every program is fairly easy to use now because of all the tutorials on YouTube.

But as tigerflaw said, just use a pencil and a ruler. Do it the good old fashion way.

Sent from my iPhone using Silverfish Longboarding
    I'll check that program out. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't do a paper template. Use something flexible with an edge so you can draw a decent cutout line. Plastic, plywood, etc. The result will be much better. If the board is symmetric you only need a quarter piece. If directional a half piece. If you plan on building more than one you will get a more consistent cut every time. Best luck with your project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't do a paper template. Use something flexible with an edge so you can draw a decent cutout line. Plastic, plywood, etc. The result will be much better. If the board is symmetric you only need a quarter piece. If directional a half piece. If you plan on building more than one you will get a more consistent cut every time. Best luck with your project!
    Like tigerflaw says ^^. If you've got a hard copy in the garage, you won't need to print it off and cut it out each time you need it. Plus tracing an outline around a solid object is a bit easier than using a paper cutout, which unless you have a plotter or large format printer, will mean taping numerous sheets of paper together each time you print out.
    Impressive selection of wood, metal and urethane goes here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dubman View Post
    Like tigerflaw says ^^. If you've got a hard copy in the garage, you won't need to print it off and cut it out each time you need it. Plus tracing an outline around a solid object is a bit easier than using a paper cutout, which unless you have a plotter or large format printer, will mean taping numerous sheets of paper together each time you print out.
    Thanks guys. Using a harder material like plywood didn't even cross my mind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m actually adding a vote for paper templates… Cheap. Easy to store. Conform around the concave blank. I have no trouble tracing around a paper template with a sharpie. But my decks are 100% custom – it’s very rare that I make the same deck twice.

www.facebook.com/TioEmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless I'm making more than like 3 the same, this is how I do it.

Except instead of a compass, I use various paint cans and stuff laying around for circles.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/OtherPlanetsSkate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when I was making a lot of boards we used 1/4" plywood templates. We had 8 or 10 basic shapes that could be extended or shortened pretty easily when tracing onto the wood. Make sure you have a good centerline.

We started with paper templates, then when we had the shapes dialed in we did the plywood templates. I found a bunch of them up in the rafters when I just moved - good memories

When you get the shape you like, fold it in half to make sure it's symmetrical. Plus it helps establish that centerline.

Of course CAD or something like that makes a lot of sense, especially if you can print it out full size. I'm way too stupid for that though
    "I knew Joe Iacovelli; Joe Iacovelli was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Joe Iacovelli."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome advice guys! I have the paper templates done, so I'm going to try using some 1/4" plywood as suggested to make some more permanent templates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  stemps.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  26.8 KB

Templates? You bet 1/4" and 1/2" mdf for a router table or tracing...We have house designs or can use your CAD file.
    CNC templates, molds and more...

Name:  stemps1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  77.4 KB
    pushmorelongboards llc
    www.pushmorelongboards.com
    pushmorelongboardsllc on Instagram
    503-735-5532 (going old school here)
    Vince

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS