ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What makes a good mold?

Wondering if the builders out there had any tips for building a good mold. Personally I just finished pressing my first longboard out of a bladder press I adapted from my homemade snowboard press. first blank came out terrible from not having the press adjusted properly and having a poor mold design. I want to eventually be pressing all kinds of boards with all different features (ie. drops, rocker, kicktails, camber, wheel flares etc.) Do you have any tips for dealing with these certain types of features? some features require concave adjustments in order to alleviate areas of harsh pressure (I presume). for example ive noticed when pressing tails on the tail itself concave is all but eliminated. the same seems to go for drops. I need help reducing stress on the wood and reducing pressure required to form the wood to the mold properly. id like this thread to be a general discussion and Q/A for mold building as there doesnt seem to be a dedicated thread (unless you can point me to one).

personal questions
    1. When doing rocker only between trucks should i decrease concave at the end of the rocker and does it have to slowly taper down towards the ends of my rocker?
    2. when and where may i need to account for any spring back while pressing any of these features?

Thanks

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What makes a good mold?

No takers?
    You only need to look at all the boards out there to get an idea about the molds.
    Wood doesn't like to bend length and width wise in the same direction (up). That's why you see bacon shapes, to reduce the stress of the wood when you combine rocker with an aggressive concave.
    Same reason concave doesn't transition to the kick tails, tight bends. Look up some mold pictures and search a bit more, there's lots of info in this forum. And think about it.. It will all make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What makes a good mold?-pushmorelongboards does :)

Name:  nel.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  20.4 KB

1. Don't worry about decreasing your rocker in this situation.
    2. Cave is reduced on a kick trannies to reduce compound curves. Suffice to say some cave is okay all the way through. I generally leave .100-.125" cave in my tranny on a street deck mold. Then add more cave up the kick.

If you really want to make several molds you need a CNC of some sort, lots of CAD experience, tons of patients, and be willing to crack, ruin and otherwise defile a stack of maple till you get it right.

Above is a pic of a mold I'm re cutting today I have already pressed a few decks. Its on it's 4th cut. Getting it just right. So with a few years experience making molds the tough ones are still that. Not so much press and pray. But it does take a few tries to get the tough ones right.

HMU if you have any questions. Always willing to share.

Vince
    pushmorelongboards llc
    www.pushmorelongboards.com
    pushmorelongboardsllc on Instagram
    503-735-5532 (going old school here)
    Vince

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS