Thread: 3D Modeling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3D Modeling

Alright y'all.
    For those of you who use modeling software to create your boards / molds, what method do you use for creating the excess?
    Since veneers come at 12" wide I have to make a mold that is 12" - but I when I model them I make them the width I plan on for the final board. This just helps with concave measurements and whatnot. But when I'm good and happy with my model, I have to go through and add the extra inch to either side, and it just can't be as accurate as I wish it would be, especially for wheel wells.
    Anyway, I'm working on this mold right now so I will be sure to take screenshots of what I mean specifically.
    Just wondering if I can ignore it and let the excess hang out the sides? I'm using a vacuum bag so I assume it would pull the edges down and give the board a weird radius where the mold ends.

Yay building boards again

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3D Modeling

I don't know what your method of modelling is. sometimes I extend the concave I want by a few cm, and sweep it around the outer perimeter of the board, or extend the surfaces by a few cm, for more complex shapes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what CAD program youre using but for the most part there should be some sorta "extend" in your surface toolbox. It gets weird around wheel wells and other non flat areas. So if you want an inch I add 1.5. Then make a solid and booleen subtract to get a straight edge..
    pushmorelongboards llc
    www.pushmorelongboards.com
    pushmorelongboardsllc on Instagram
    503-735-5532 (going old school here)
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using Inventor I haven't gotten much into the sculpting tools though I need to. The wheel wells are especially where I have trouble.
    I've been trying to make a mould I'm happy with for a while and finally just decided since it's my first one in a while, I will just make it simple and easy.
    I have a mould in the works with micro drop and wheel wells, but that will have to wait.

The one i currently have designed is 10" wide. i am going to cut the foam out with hot wire in 4 quarters and just tape the pieces together. I thought to cheat extending the mould, I could use that 'Great Stuff' expanding foam and spray some along the edges during a dry press and that would fill in the shape pretty well.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 12.27.21 AM.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  19.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks almost exactly like the 2017 Pantheon Logos mold! It's fun. Jeff uses Rhino to design Pantheon molds, and I use Solidworks to design LiQWOOD molds. I wish I could offer more advice with Inventor. In Solidworks, I would select the side face, convert it to a sketch, and then extrude that shape about an inch out all around. Ideally, you design it 12" wide from the get go. If you want I can run you through how I model molds.

Unless you are pressing in wheel wells (flares) then you don't need to worry about it too much while designing the mold. If you are interested, I can CNC a one-piece foam mold and send it to you. Shipping should be fine since it's so light.

If you do use the Great Stuff, I'd recommend putting a sheet of plastic over the dry plies, so they don't get glued to your mold. Great Stuff is gnarly

Also... if you are interested in small batches of production boards, I can set up a
    high-capacity mold (20+ boards per day) for ~$75 in materials, and then get ready for high-capacity cutting on the CNC for about $40 more. For an existing brand to do this costs more than $975 with all the time and design work
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frare Bear you're the best. You've been at this forever and are always there to help. I've got a hot wire cutter, I'm just going to go at it.
    I've got the pieces printed separately so at least i'll have lines to go off of, and then i'll sand it even.
    will update how it goes.

for the next one i'll try a bit extra

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS