ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Problems with Screenprinting

So I've been trying to screenprint my logo onto my boards. It's nothing too intricate, and it's not a big logo either, but no matter what technique I try or what ink I use, it never comes out right. Sometimes it bleeds outside the lines in some parts, while other parts don't get enough ink. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?[ATTACH=CONFIG]178039[/ATTACH
    Name:  20170612_131339.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  60.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Problems with Screenprinting

not an expert here but do screen from time to time-
    The faint areas are not enough ink. The blotchy areas look like the screen wasn't close enough to the deck. I use speedball acrylic, air dries quickly. What type of ink are you using? Are you "loading" your screen? You can literally see the screen fill up with ink. Make sure to use a soft squeegee and apply even pressure. I have seen some inks I simply couldn't master. Just too runny for my skill level. Speedball makes a great line of ink. It has a consistency of pudding and hangs well without running. I have used it with 160 to 220 mesh with good results. Make sure your screen isn't above your deck, your screen isn't too fine and your ink isn't too runny. Hope this helps-
    pushmorelongboards llc
    www.pushmorelongboards.com
    pushmorelongboardsllc on Instagram
    503-735-5532 (going old school here)
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vpl View Post
    not an expert here but do screen from time to time-
    The faint areas are not enough ink. The blotchy areas look like the screen wasn't close enough to the deck. I use speedball acrylic, air dries quickly. What type of ink are you using? Are you "loading" your screen? You can literally see the screen fill up with ink. Make sure to use a soft squeegee and apply even pressure. I have seen some inks I simply couldn't master. Just too runny for my skill level. Speedball makes a great line of ink. It has a consistency of pudding and hangs well without running. I have used it with 160 to 220 mesh with good results. Make sure your screen isn't above your deck, your screen isn't too fine and your ink isn't too runny. Hope this helps-
    Thanks for the input! I'm using Speedball as well. I think some of the problems I'm having might be caused by 1. The screen not being close/taunt enough on the deck, and 2. I was using a hard plastic squeegee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A better squeegee should help a lot. Screen printing is probably the most finicky and difficult thing I've done. And I've tried a lot of stuff lol.

You definitely need a gap between the screen and the board, or else you get smears and blobs.

Flat things are infinitely easier to screen print on... I'm still figuring it out on my own. Recently I've been working on building and stretching my own screens that are ~14"x44", so I can screen print heat transfer graphics (the way that 90% of big brands do it). I've had similar to issues as you, with blotches, and dry spots. It's good to start on small images and work your way up.

Keep us posted how it goes!
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424 View Post
    dont cry. boards love to be abused. its what they live for. i feel sorry for the boards who never get ridden hard. give your board a good life!:mrgreen:
    Quote Originally Posted by omahgarsh View Post
    How are you gonna take over the world if you can't handle a little cold pizza and warm beer in the morning ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMonkeyUnlimited View Post
    Now if I could just act like a grown-up and pay bills... Can't I just play "skateboards" all day?
    liqwoodboardsports.bigcartel.com
    facebook.com/LiqwoodLongboards
    @liqwoodboards

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS