ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rise of the 8 Wheel Monster!

I needed an 8 wheel board for a rain race coming up. The theory is that 8 wheels will stick better then 4 right? So I used my good ol trusty aluminum beast which you may or may not remember from past posts.

This board is almost 5 years old now with thousands of miles on it. Since it's core is aircraft aluminum I'm not sure if it will ever die.
    All of those handy mounting holes also makes it a great test platform.

here is the parts layout. 2 sets of randal 180's, 4 grippins and 4 proto lime big zigs, one deck and 2 aluminum extension plates.
    I also needed 2 riser pads for the outer trucks this keeps the outer wheels in firm contact with the ground when the board flexes.

The Beast is born!
    After a test ride on the very wet Salem soapbox track the results are mixed. The board will still slide on wet asphalt but it feels very different from sliding on the same board with only 4 wheels.
    Where a 4 wheel board will hold traction and then slide out quickly this setup has a bigger slide window you can feel the wheels starting to go much sooner, allowing a correction if you don't want to slide.
    The entry and exit from the slide is also much smoother. The board does have much better traction I was able to lean into turns that I would never try normally when wet.
    Turning was greatly reduced. I had to loosen the trucks all the way out to get the board to feel somewhat normal.
    This board has the smoothest ride I think I have ever had. Things like cracks in the sidewalk and small sticks / rocks were barley felt when I rolled over them.
    I will try riding again when I get a chance to groove the big zigs this week to see if that effects performance.
    Conclusion: I would not suggest this for most riders. The extra weight and rolling resistance is very noticeable. But if you want a big crazy board with all kinds of grip, or if you ride wet curvy roads alot this might be a good way to go,

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rise of the 8 Wheel Monster!

lol sick. it would look somuch better with 4 of the same wheels but still a sweet board

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna Rich Nelson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks pretty sweet. if the board flexes though do the trucks on the ends lift off the ground?
    Designed, Built, and Tested by Skaters, for Skaters.
    NelsonLongboards.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To get the most grip while riding in the rain, you will want wheels with narrow contact patches.

Wheels that are on Razor Scooters are great and will have the most grip on wet asphalt because they will hydroplane less.
    left coast

Concrete Kahuna stephen.mhsrider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by circle View Post
    To get the most grip while riding in the rain, you will want wheels with narrow contact patches.

Wheels that are on Razor Scooters are great and will have the most grip on wet asphalt because they will hydroplane less.

thats a good idea but most scooter wheels are about 100mm or something. wouldnt your wheels touch during a turn because theyre so big?
    [Arcadium] 5:58 pm: keith i never want to meet you
    [Arcadium] 5:58 pm: you ahve a weight and height advantage and you've played slightly homosexual sex games
    [arizona_123] 5:58 pm: arc shut up lol
    [arizona_123] 5:58 pm: im only 190 now lmao
    [arizona_123] 5:59 pm: arc join football in HS youll understand it
    [Arcadium] 5:59 pm: yeah
    [Arcadium] 5:59 pm: u could rape me with one hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should throw some wings on that thing... Maybe it'll fly!
    "Yeah, we got like Grimwich Alpine Trucks, Yeah Um"

No matter how he tried, he could not break free and the worms ate into his brain
    Originally Posted by enrique60033
    I am mexican, I don't know what are you taking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

groove the wheels? also how would seating 76mm on the outsides and 75mm on the insides work? seems like you'd get full contact from both wheel sets that way when the deck flexes
    I bet Im riddled with Canabisoids or whatever they're called. -Sideburnt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by circle View Post

Not so sure on that one. If that were the case a road bike tire would have better wet traction then a mountain bike tire. I think that wheel groves / traction makes a huge difference. the grippins are already grooved and I am going to groove the zigs this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    groove the wheels? also how would seating 76mm on the outsides and 75mm on the insides work? seems like you'd get full contact from both wheel sets that way when the deck flexes
    The outer trucks have 1/8" risers, the flex of the extensions keeps pressure on them but the inner trucks make good contact with the ground when weight is on the board. In my test ride I could not get any wheels to leave the ground. The odd thing is the reduced turning ability i cant figure out if it is the extra trucks or the longer wheelbase causing it.

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna Rich Nelson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robotopdx View Post
    The odd thing is the reduced turning ability i cant figure out if it is the extra trucks or the longer wheelbase causing it.
    it might have something to do with the bushings since it will take twice as much force to turn the same amount.
    Designed, Built, and Tested by Skaters, for Skaters.
    NelsonLongboards.com

Concrete Kahuna stephen.mhsrider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so sure on that one. If that were the case a road bike tire would have better wet traction then a mountain bike tire. I think that wheel groves / traction makes a huge difference. the grippins are already grooved and I am going to groove the zigs this week.
    hmm, the bike comparison sounds abit strange. but by cutting rain grooves into your wheels, your trying to reduce the contact patch of the wheel for more grip so you dont hydroplane. a narrow contact patch wheel would accomplish the same thing.
    [Arcadium] 5:58 pm: keith i never want to meet you
    [Arcadium] 5:58 pm: you ahve a weight and height advantage and you've played slightly homosexual sex games
    [arizona_123] 5:58 pm: arc shut up lol
    [arizona_123] 5:58 pm: im only 190 now lmao
    [arizona_123] 5:59 pm: arc join football in HS youll understand it
    [Arcadium] 5:59 pm: yeah
    [Arcadium] 5:59 pm: u could rape me with one hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its a toss-up between not hydroplaning and not gripping
    you still need the surface area to grip, but you also need the grooves so it wont hydroplane
    narrow wheels will give you no hydroplaning but also very little grip, wide wheels will hydroplane but will give you lots of grip as well, as long as they dont hydroplane... hence grooves.
    Full disclosure: I work for Omen Longboards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im fairly confident that i can explain the reduced turning ability, but ill need to sketch some diagrams, ill post it up in a little bit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAMN WHAT A BEAST!!! i wanna try that bad boy!
    "pain is the proof that you're alive

...and longboarding."-Hanael

"I'd rather die on my feet rather than live on my knees"-someone

"pain is weakness leaving th body"-someone

Quote Originally Posted by suckyskatergirl View Post
    I like your sexy schlong... in my mouth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, first off, please forgive how crude the drawings are...

But basically, the reason your turning ability is reduced is that the two sets of trucks have different wheelbases and therefore different turning radii. (In the drawings, the radii of the inner set is the yellow line and the outer set is the blue one.) But when you are going straight, the lines are the same so it doesnt matter.

The energy that you put into the board by leaning, that would normally make the trucks turn is wasted because the two sets of trucks are resisting each others movement.

...Not the best explanation, but i hope it helps.

-Jacob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On smooth roads, a road bike tire DOES have better traction than a mountain bike tire. A knobby mountain bike tire has an even smaller contact patch because the knobs have nothing to bite into on a concrete or asphalt path. A slick road bike tire, though narrow, uses all its surface to grip and has no sideways bending of lugs on the tires. Its narrowness also resists hydroplaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hxzero View Post
    On smooth roads, a road bike tire DOES have better traction than a mountain bike tire. A knobby mountain bike tire has an even smaller contact patch because the knobs have nothing to bite into on a concrete or asphalt path. A slick road bike tire, though narrow, uses all its surface to grip and has no sideways bending of lugs on the tires. Its narrowness also resists hydroplaning.
    On dry road this is true but if the tire is slick then it will most defently hydroplane becouse water will get directly between tire and road, but if it has grooves or is designed for wet conditions the it will deffenetly will track better then mountain bike tires. You need to stear the water out from undreaneath a tire and a slick tire that has no grooves is likely to hydroplane (more like slide you wont go fast anough to hydroplane with a bike anyway, unless downhill)

But hey my dad made a 6 wheel beast, it rides like a tank but stable as hell... here is a pic it from 1990ish (I said before 1986 but i was wrong >.> anyhow...)
    Legendary Longboards

I just asked a question what the point of reading my sig....

Deck stolen 1 week after getting it...my long boarding life ruined...and now people at Legendary have fixed it!

Legendary Demonix Prototype running 180 black randals, Bone Reds and Orangtang In Heats!

Demonix Prototype Tester!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to be using 50 degree baseplates all around. You shouldn't do that because the inside trucks turning radius is different from the outside trucks. That's why it's hard to turn. I think I made some sort of calculation someday about a medium sized six-wheeler and found that 41 degrees should be the inside truck angle so if you pop on some 42 degree randal baseplates you should be good (get some risers, though).

Interesting board consturction though! Is that aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
    You seem to be using 50 degree baseplates all around. You shouldn't do that because the inside trucks turning radius is different from the outside trucks. That's why it's hard to turn. I think I made some sort of calculation someday about a medium sized six-wheeler and found that 41 degrees should be the inside truck angle so if you pop on some 42 degree randal baseplates you should be good (get some risers, though).

Interesting board consturction though! Is that aluminum?
    Ya I thought about the different angle base plates but time and money are going to keep the current setup for the upcoming race. Perhaps I can swap out base plates later. This board won't stay an 8 wheeler for long I need it as a 4 wheeler too much. If your are interested in it's construction, search my posts and you can follow the history. I think the original construction post was on NCDSA but the pics should all still be there since I host them myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soviet911 View Post
    On dry road this is true but if the tire is slick then it will most defently hydroplane becouse water will get directly between tire and road, but if it has grooves or is designed for wet conditions the it will deffenetly will track better then mountain bike tires. You need to stear the water out from undreaneath a tire and a slick tire that has no grooves is likely to hydroplane (more like slide you wont go fast anough to hydroplane with a bike anyway, unless downhill)

But hey my dad made a 6 wheel beast, it rides like a tank but stable as hell... here is a pic it from 1990ish (I said before 1986 but i was wrong >.> anyhow...)
    Even with a slick road bike tire in the wet this is true. Any good road bike tire will be nearly perfectly round, so water gets moved out of the way before it can sit underneath the contact patch, causing hydroplaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS