Thread: General Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default General Help

Hey guys,
    I have previously skated before (not good at all) and have recently been motivated to try downhill longboarding. I feel like I am making some progress every day on the board and want to continuously push myself but not to the point where I get hurt. Bumps, Scrapes, and bruises are fine but not broken bones or serious injuries since I am getting ready to deploy for the Marines in the near future. My question is after three days of being on a longboard should I now try to slide and slowly go up to bigger hills when the confidence is there? How do I improve my balance at faster speeds and is there any learning videos or tutorials you recommend? Any and all help would be useful.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: General Help

There are tons of videos on youtube so search there to find what is most helpful for you. You will progress faster if you are padded up (helmet, slide gloves, knee / elbow pads) as that mitigates some of the fear and allows you to slide out crashes on your hands and knees.

Hands down slides are the best way to start (see youtube). Just keep working your way up the hill by climbing higher and higher as you become more and more comfortable with the speed. Don't start at the top. Start at the bottom and work your way up.

Everyone learns differently. I started sliding (hands down) on day one as I prefer rotations and slides to straight on bombing. 3 years later I still have a lot to learn. You are at day 3. Be patient even if you are shipping out soon and thank you for your service to our country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: How do I improve my balance at faster speeds?
    A: Practice. Builds up your leg muscles.
    Impressive selection of wood, metal and urethane goes here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I actually took the same approach that you mentioned in regards to padding up. The balance piece though is still one that I am unsure of and feel like it may be my feet placement since I know it would not be my leg muscles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe make yourself a balance board out of pvc pipe and a piece of 1x6" pine. 6" pvc preferred but 2" is doable.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS