Results 33,381 to 33,393 of 33393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for your next board? Help is here

First post from a complete newb;

-Looking for an LDP'able (primarily Pumping) board as an alternate to a bike or walking. Bonus if it will do ok for cruising between local restaurants\tap rooms\etc, will be OK for me to do a little pushing on it, and good for some casual carving (ok if I need to tighten a front truck).
    -40'ish x 9 inches or whatever will give me the best wheelbase and platform for pumping (sz 10 shoes)
    -Height, Weight, age: 5'10 / 165-170# / 34
    -Budget: If I can keep it around $500 that would be great, but I'm not averse to spending a bit more to just getting the right board the first time.
    -Other: I am absolutely new to skateboarding and my roads / sidewalks are generally terrible.

My initial research has led me down the following;

Been looking at Subsonic Pulse or Century 40, Sk8kings Blaster, and Gbomb push/pump for decks and DT 'Cybins or Poppies for trucks depending on which deck. Like the idea of built in adjustment, whether thats in the truck or built into the board, so I dont have to mess with wedge kits. The 'cybins and gbomb rear would of course allows me to find and adjust angles more on the fly. Also prefer the look of a regular deck but I'm still considering th Gbomb just because of all the great things I've read, but it is definitely at the high end of what I'd like to spend for my first board.

I've emailed Subsonic but have yet to hear back from them as I'm not really sure about their options for top sheet or bottom reinforcement and such. I've read top mount is the way to go for power, but I'm not competing, racing, or going on any really LONG distance rides. I would also prefer a bit more starting power to ultimate top speed, e.g. I'd happily trade 1mph for the ability to start pumping almost from a standstill or very light push. Distance wise, 3-5mi is what I envision so I'm willing to make a small compromise there if it does other things substantially better, e.g. pushing or is more stable. Will any of these boards allow me to hop up a curb or a terrible sidewalk crack (we have a lot of those here) or am I complicating things too much and should just a 2nd board all together after I learn how to skate?

Bushings, what do I need? Can someone recommend me a kit or a list of a few things that would have everything I need?

Wheels, I'm assuming a 75mm ~80a something like a Big Zig? Should I look bigger?

Risers, what will I need?

Certainly Gbomb and it appears Sk8kings can build me a complete ready to go, but what about Subsonic? Right now I just like the look of their boards the best.

For those wondering, I've never considered a skateboard before because I thought the idea of always having to push to get around looked not fun and somewhat not efficient. Then I somehow discovered LDP & pumping and now I'm really intrigued. Generally athletic, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, roller hockey, so not too concerned about being able to figure this out after a bit of time.

Open to any other advice or input. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pechelman; 03-25-2017 at 06:24 PM.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    First post from a complete newb;

-Looking for an LDP'able board as an alternate to a bike or walking.
    You'll want to add pantheon to your list of brands to look into...
    47* PNL plates, mismatched colors (gold/grey)-$35 ea/$65 pair shipped

Metalbee guards for clutch jerk v2, great shape- $15 shipped

Gunmetal 46* bp's- $15/pair shipped

Payback lobster 8.5 x 32.5, gripped, 9.5/10- $40 shipped

Rayne Genesis Dee-lite, Like new, SICK custom grip, pm for pics. Best offer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion, Liamt.

I can appreciate that Pantheon is a Colorado based company (I'm in Denver), but which model were you thinking I should be looking at for LDP? I wasnt seeing anything that jumped out in the recommended wheelbase that had wedge\dewedge built in and was topmount. Can they build a complete board for me? At this point, I think I'd prefer to have someone who has built up a board before do it for me and then I'll take it from there. Just want to get something that's a good solid rig to learn on and grow into.

From what I have above, is there anything you would steer me toward or away from? Tried to narrow it down to a few places that appear to be able to build a complete.

edit:
    and maybe I should clarify, and this could be my inexperience, is that by LDP, I meant pumping mostly.
    Last edited by pechelman; 03-25-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gbomb push/pump Poppies done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly that seems like a solid choice, but why that one? Won't the pulse be a better pumper since it's topmount? Is it really ~$200 better than that or even more than the sk8k blaster? Since this is a mostly unknown for me, I would like to try to understand the differences so I can then choose the one I think may work best for what I want. I do appreciate the recommendations but looking for a bit more rationale if possible.

It would also be fair, I think, to say to get the one I like the look of best or whatever semi arbitrary thing since any of these are all great options. Was just hoping for a bit more discussion to help me differentiate them, especially as it pertains to the top mount pulse and drop deck century and gbomb. Also if anyone has any input on the subsonic custom build options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a longboard now? if you do I recomed you ride it for long distance and see if you like it.You can ride all boards long distance.You will still need to push a pumping set up at times.G/b has flex and is low to the ground helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, lmg.

The longboard I have access to right now is an evolve gt bamboo with the 7" AT wheels, so not exactly an apples to apples test for me to just ride that one long distance. Looking for something a little more self-reliant and lightweight. This would be my first longboard\skateboard ever. Completely understand about being low to the ground helping pushing....the evolve with AT wheels I've pushed to get started is a bit of work. Very hard for me to foot brake as well with the huge distance to the ground. Feel like im trying to do yoga or something with lowering myself so far on one leg to reach the ground slowly enough for foot braking. hah.

So maybe the compromise for a lower deck through drop or brackets is worth a slight decrease in pumping leverage, but I had just assumed that any board coming from the evolve at experience would be a huge huge improvement for pushing\foot braking. So why the gbomb over the century 40 for example?

you're slowly convincing me that maybe I should just forget about wanting (arbitrarily?) this pumping setup to like like a "normal" board since the functional benefits are probably there. The only thing maybe lacking functionally is an ability to pop up over terrible sidewalk cracks or nasty road hazards which are everywhere around here. Even then, maybe only the sk8k blaster has that benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pantheon quest, trip, nexus, and wanderlust are there most ldp oriented decks.
    A lot more info on the finer details between them and how people have set them up in the pantheon thread

Honestly, If you're considering poppies already anyway, I'd opt for an adjustable
    set on a deck with level truck mounts, or a g-bomb with brackets, before I got a deck with
    built in wedge/dewedge. Unless you know you're going to be running exteme angles like a 0deg rear,
    in which case you might as well just get the DT delirium and a poppy front.

Another thing to keep in mind is wheel/truck choice relative to the width of your deck.
    Most people try to get their wheels lined up with the edge of the deck as close as possible
    to minimize the chance of kicking the wheel
    Last edited by Liamt; Yesterday at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why the gbomb over the century 40 for example? flex helps with vibrations.+no wheel contactName:  DSCF0698.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  41.6 KB and adjustable The century is a nice board may want to go with that not sure if it has flex.You don't want to have a lot of flex if you plan on going fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome, thanks guys.
    I've killed the idea of the century. Didnt realize it would be so stiff.

I'm going to give Subsonic another day or two to reply to my email about building a custom Pulse with slalocybins, but otherwise I'll go with a gbomb push/pump with the super fork front and deep drop rear & poppy trucks.

Any idea if Gbomb upgrades their bushings on DT Poppy builds like they do on their bennett\tracker builds? Will email them as well to check.

Would anyone recommend me a specific bushing kit or handful of bushings to order or should I just stick with the stock DT ones for a while?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    awesome, thanks guys.
    I've killed the idea of the century. Didnt realize it would be so stiff.

I'm going to give Subsonic another day or two to reply to my email about building a custom Pulse with slalocybins, but otherwise I'll go with a gbomb push/pump with the super fork front and deep drop rear & poppy trucks.

Any idea if Gbomb upgrades their bushings on DT Poppy builds like they do on their bennett\tracker builds? Will email them as well to check.

Would anyone recommend me a specific bushing kit or handful of bushings to order or should I just stick with the stock DT ones for a while?
    Pop over to the riptide thread, give your weight, the type of riding you plan to do, the deck and trucks you'll be on, and preference for how you want your trucks to feel (loose/restrictive/etc) and you should get a pretty quick response that will be a good jumping off point. Stock bushings in DT are riptide anyways, you'll still have to choose the duro. And they're the aps formula which is nice,
    but I'd personally opt for krank formula. I'd probably also want to run a kore insert instead of the spherical in the hanger but that's just me, I prefer a damper ride with less twitch.

There's also the options of hairy bushing's big hairy sacks, or venom's sack deals, where you'll get a large variety of duros that will help get you acquainted with what duro works for you by trial and error. Not a bad idea, but at the same time, I feel like it's trying on a bunch of dockers to get your waste size when you intend on buying a pair of levis; duros are somewhat of approximations, and a 90a venom doesn't feel the same as a 90a riptide, and so on.

I personally much prefer riptide to any other brand, so it's unfortunate they don't offer a sack type deal,
    but in terms of customer service, they will also go above and beyond to guide you in making the right choice more so than
    any other brand.

If you have a given set of bushings, and want to know how much more restricted you'll be by going up a duro,
    if they have your trucks on hand (they have a whole lot), they'll actually put your hangers in a mechanical fixture with
    the bushings that will tell you exactly how far you can turn with a given input force (your weight) with one set of bushings
    as opposed to another. That's something you're not gonna get with any other brand. They make great bushings, and they are
    dedicated to getting you on the right ones.

As for level of flex, that's another plus one for pantheon- they make most of their decks in 8 and 9 ply options so you can
    choose according to your weight and how stiff you want it...
    Last edited by Liamt; Yesterday at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writing this past my sleepy time, so sorry if its hard to read.
    -What type of riding you plan on doing
    Mmm typically my ride style revolves around a mixture of ldp, light to medium downhill, I tend to mess around and just have fun around the city/trails, and I'm kind of looking to become more familiar with freeriding.
    -Length Specifications
    I'd like to stay somewhere around 32-38 inches, preferably.
    -Width Specifications
    Not too picky on the width, but I'd like to keep it between 9-10 inches.
    -Height, Weight
    6'3"(mostly legs heh) , 190
    -Other
    I'd kinda like to keep it top mount, also I cut up an old pintail and made this little board just for shiz and giggles, and I've fallen in love with it, but despite its nimbility and pure fun factor, it's just too short for any downhill/ldp, so I almost wanna try to find something similar. Thanks for your time, gadies and lents.
    Custom board specs: 30 inches length, 9 inches width exactlyName:  le board.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  30.0 KB

Also worth noting; I've kinda had my eye on the Rayne Darkside, but I'm kinda concerned about the radial drops because I bought a LY Tomahawk and hated it mainly because of the drops and how my feet sat with my riding stance (I have the polar opposite of flat feet). But the Darkside just looks like a spicy piece of fun, so I'm heartbroken.
    Last edited by Smoochy; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That deck almost looks like the smallest jet potato (29" x 9.25"). Take a look at the rest of the potato lineup perhaps.
    Most of jet's molds are fairly simple, so they work well for people that don't want really aggressive features in their concave.

There's a 33" with a small kick, a 34.5" with rocker, a composite 34.5" with no rocker, and a 36" also with a small kick.

Page 1670 of 1670 FirstFirst ... 670117015701620166016661667166816691670

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS