Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for your next board? Help is here

Quote Originally Posted by anacan View Post
    I plan on doing freeride, with lots and lots of sliding
    Length: between 36 and 39 inches
    Width: between 9 and 10 inches
    Height: 6'2 Weight: 160 pounds
    Other: Ive been looking at the prism theory deck and I really like it, however it's out of stock. Rayne and Madrid also have some nice ones but I dont know what board would be best
    Is there a particular Rayne you are interested in? … there are many that I could suggest - but which ones catch your eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goeller View Post
    Is there a particular Rayne you are interested in? … there are many that I could suggest - but which ones catch your eye?

I really like topmounts, so im attracted to the downhill boards of rayne. What's caught my eye so far is the Savage V2, Vandal V3, Fortune V3, and the Genesis. however, its kind of hard to tell from the site what the pros and cons are for each one
    "I use my dick to counter-balance much in the same way a cheetah uses its tail to counter balance at high speeds. You should try it sometime."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoc View Post
    I'm considering a new board for the summer. Current go-to freeride board is LY Tomahawk on 852 Grizzlies. I tend to prefer symmetrical double kicks but have taken a liking to my son's DB Diamondback. I can score a decent deal locally on a barely used Nelson Stingray KT 36 or Batray or maybe even a package deal on both. I had been considering an Eastside Mach 3 but didn't realize they were out of stock or a LBL Hippo until I found the Nelsons. As far as use goes:

I'm 5'7" and 145#s.
    Prefer sliding and rotating my way down the hill to bombing.
    Generally prefer WBs in the 24+" range which is why I never pulled the trigger on the Mach 3.
    My preference is for a foot platform around 22" and I like decks around 10" wide or maybe 9.5 with moderate concave (my shoes is only an 8.5 so I like it on the deck or wedged in a pocket/kick).
    Heard good things about Nelson but was never able to get one before they shut down. Like LBL gear too but the Hippo looks heavy.
    Top speed will probably be 20-25 mph as I usually just get going enough to slide.

Any input on the Nelsons or Hippo would be appreciated or if you feel like suggesting something similar but different I'm OK with that too. Been skating pools all winter so I'm looking forward to hitting hills again and don't "need" a new board but you guys understand.
    Just chippin' in because no-one else has @BRoc. I haven't owned any of these so this won't contribute to informed decision, but if the Nelson's are in good condo my money would be on the Stingray. I've see the DH in real life and the board shape & contours are nice if you're into that sort of thing. Plus you've got a symmetrical deck already ... but you can't beat 2for1 package deals! If the Nelson's are nearby then at least you can try before you buy. I'm not a fan of heavy boards so I'd find out the the weight of the hippo first too. G'luck.
    Impressive selection of wood, metal and urethane goes here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-What type of riding you plan on doing
    I love snowboarding so thought longboarding would be fun. Just cruising around my city, maybe learn to do a few ollies and some tricks.
    -Length Specifications
    Doesn't matter
    -Width Specifications
    I have size 9.5 feet
    -Height, Weight
    6foot, 180 pounds
    -Other
    Not sure if it matters, but i wanna learn how to do ollies and tricks so maybe something with a kicktail?
    Budget maybe $300, think that's okay to start

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kangsterrr View Post
    I love snowboarding so thought longboarding would be fun. Just cruising around my city, maybe learn to do a few ollies and some tricks.
    -Length Specifications
    Doesn't matter
    -Width Specifications
    I have size 9.5 feet
    -Height, Weight
    6foot, 180 pounds
    -Other
    Not sure if it matters, but i wanna learn how to do ollies and tricks so maybe something with a kicktail?
    I might try to find an earthwing hightailer or something like it. Big enough to do any of the type of riding you'd do on a normal "longboard", has the kicks to learn ollies and other regular skateboard tricks. Just really really versatile and very reasonable price too.

The way I think of it, if this is your first board, you could get a smaller regular double kick skateboard that'll be good for tricks,
    but find it's too small to carve on comfortably, or push long distance, or dance, or bomb on etc etc.

Or you could get a behemoth topmount downhill deck with a 3.5" kicktail and find that it handles speed great, but learning
    to ollie and do freestyle/street tricks on it is not that fun of a time.

With something like the hightailer you'll be fairly well equipped to try any riding style you want and be pretty comfortable on it
    Last edited by Liamt; 05-25-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    47* PNL plates, mismatched colors (gold/grey)-$35 ea/$65 pair shipped

Metalbee guards for clutch jerk v2, great shape- $15 shipped

Gunmetal 46* bp's- $15/pair shipped

Payback lobster 8.5 x 32.5, gripped, 9.5/10- $40 shipped

Rayne Genesis Dee-lite, Like new, SICK custom grip, pm for pics. Best offer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Length Specifications
    Doesn't matter
    -Width Specifications
    I have size 9.5 feet
    -Height, Weight
    6foot, 180 pounds
    -Other
    Have you looked at the Eastside Mach 3 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrat
    ..there's guys who suck or are dead because they committed outside their limits. Commit within your limits.
    Know your limits skate at the edge of them but within them and you will get better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anacan View Post
    I really like topmounts, so im attracted to the downhill boards of rayne. What's caught my eye so far is the Savage V2, Vandal V3, Fortune V3, and the Genesis. however, its kind of hard to tell from the site what the pros and cons are for each one
    So, the differences are in the specs. They are the nuances of the decks that without experience with these nuances it would be hard to guess what you might like.
    For example: the Genesis has tub cave and a shorter wheel base.
    The Fortune has a 3D radial concave, a slightly longer wheelbase and a rounded off tail that may actually have mild use.
    If you have an opportunity- stop by a longboard shop and see if you can step on some decks to see what feels good to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back into the game and been doing some research.
    So is there a huge weight difference between the Rayne brightside and the EW Muirderer, on account of the first being bamboo? Looks like the muirderer has better locking concave tho (deeper radial).
    Im torn between the heavier, planted EW and the lightweight rayne. WWYD?

And feel free t osuggest other boards. Looking at
    36" x 9.25-10"
    Top or drop idk
    Radial deep concave (dont care for W i can wedge foam under the griptape).
    Light weight (important)

Thanks fam.

NO. Shut up.
    ----------------------------------------------
    My Channel: youtube.com/user/CCJG028
    If you don't fall, how will you know what getting up is like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCJG View Post
    Getting back into the game and been doing some research.
    So is there a huge weight difference between the Rayne brightside and the EW Muirderer, on account of the first being bamboo? Looks like the muirderer has better locking concave tho (deeper radial).
    Im torn between the heavier, planted EW and the lightweight rayne. WWYD?

And feel free t osuggest other boards. Looking at
    36" x 9.25-10"
    Top or drop idk
    Radial deep concave (dont care for W i can wedge foam under the griptape).
    Light weight (important)

Thanks fam.
    I'd be willing to bet the brightside actually weighs more than the EW. I'm not sure why rayne are touted as being so featherweight at all really. They are all stiffer than hell, so considering that they are respectable weights. But I wouldn't really consider them lightweight as skateboards in general go. The EW is just a 7 ply maple layup. I have a dee-lite genesis and an EW team 33 in my quiver, and the rayne is waaay heavier.

The muirderer mold locks you in really nicely, but actually doesn't feel as aggressive to me as most rayne molds, which I really prefer personally. It does have some mild w, but I don't find it that noticeable/that it gets in the way at all. When you're kicking out toeside, it's enough to be helpful, but when you're pushing you can stand right on it and it feels sort of like flat bottom tub concave if anything, not awkward at all.

I can also assure you from time on both decks that the EW has way better pop/just generally skates more like a regular skateboard, which is nice
    47* PNL plates, mismatched colors (gold/grey)-$35 ea/$65 pair shipped

Metalbee guards for clutch jerk v2, great shape- $15 shipped

Gunmetal 46* bp's- $15/pair shipped

Payback lobster 8.5 x 32.5, gripped, 9.5/10- $40 shipped

Rayne Genesis Dee-lite, Like new, SICK custom grip, pm for pics. Best offer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schizopiano View Post
    Have you looked at the Eastside Mach 3 yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Liamt View Post
    I might try to find an earthwing hightailer or something like it. Big enough to do any of the type of riding you'd do on a normal "longboard", has the kicks to learn ollies and other regular skateboard tricks. Just really really versatile and very reasonable price too.

The way I think of it, if this is your first board, you could get a smaller regular double kick skateboard that'll be good for tricks,
    but find it's too small to carve on comfortably, or push long distance, or dance, or bomb on etc etc.

Or you could get a behemoth topmount downhill deck with a 3.5" kicktail and find that it handles speed great, but learning
    to ollie and do freestyle/street tricks on it is not that fun of a time.

With something like the hightailer you'll be fairly well equipped to try any riding style you want and be pretty comfortable on it
    I'm living in australia, and I guess a lot of boards have to be shipped over from US. Kind of a dumb question, but is there a certain style of board that i'm looking for?
    Earthwing hightailer looks great, and so does the eastside mach 3.
    Yeah those are the styles i'm looking at.
    Total newbie here, so how much should i be spending on trucks and wheel ect, if i'm not getting a completely assembled board?
    thanks!

Addicted Cruiser Irresponsibly Mad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After years of being outta the game and moving around a lot I've decided to get back into cruising and commuting to work in my new city. I want a board with a kicktail and will be ordering from Muir in Aus. Im caught between the EW Miniglider or the EW Muirderer.

For the EW Muirderer 33 is a viable setup Indy 169, 63mm RAD Jimmy Riha, Beasto Bearings, 0.13" Riser Shockpad

or should I go EW Miniglider, Indy 169, 65mm Cloud Ride 83a, Zealous

Wouldn't mind chucking it sideways every now and again

Cheers
    Current:
    Rayne Timeline || Paris 150 || Metro Motions 80a || Zealous

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm living in australia, and I guess a lot of boards have to be shipped over from US. Kind of a dumb question, but is there a certain style of board that i'm looking for?
    Earthwing hightailer looks great, and so does the eastside mach 3.
    Yeah those are the styles i'm looking at.
    Total newbie here, so how much should i be spending on trucks and wheel ect, if i'm not getting a completely assembled board?
    thanks!
    Not sure about in Aussi monies … here in the US … 50 ish bucks on trucks and 50 or less for wheels. Bearings - 15 and some hardware and grip tape - another 15 ish bucks.
    So add 130 to the cost of a deck to be safe. At least in the US … that'll get you there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Irresponsibly Mad View Post
    After years of being outta the game and moving around a lot I've decided to get back into cruising and commuting to work in my new city. I want a board with a kicktail and will be ordering from Muir in Aus. Im caught between the EW Miniglider or the EW Muirderer.

For the EW Muirderer 33 is a viable setup Indy 169, 63mm RAD Jimmy Riha, Beasto Bearings, 0.13" Riser Shockpad

or should I go EW Miniglider, Indy 169, 65mm Cloud Ride 83a, Zealous

Wouldn't mind chucking it sideways every now and again

Cheers
    I'm confused on the wheel choice for the muirderer … but it is def a personal choice thing.
    I would go with Muirderer. It meets your needs … it has a great kick tail - and if you decide cruising on 63 mm wheels is slow and laborious … you can fully fit some 70mm wheels on that deck.

Page 1672 of 1672 FirstFirst ... 672117215721622166216681669167016711672

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS