Page 1673 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 673117315731623166316691670167116721673
Results 33,441 to 33,448 of 33448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for your next board? Help is here

Hi there! I need to get a mini-cruiser for cruising and carving around campus, and I was wondering what recommendations you would have. any mini length should be good, and for width maybe on the wider side cause i wear 10.5 mens shoes. I am 6'2 and weigh 160 lbs. I want something with a kicktail please, and something thats comfortable to ride. Maybe the bustin spliff?
    Fast and sideways is the way to go

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatTheGoat View Post
    After trying the fortune can't say enough good about how useful that multiple bacon concave is. I've found some decks concave is too far or too close for personal rider stance, but with two useful options for foot pockets and just enough to lock in your front foot, you can't go wrong.

The genesis is g too. Would probably stack some viscous in the centre of the back though. @Azex as you said, it's "strong concave" but its purpose locks your feet's lateral movement only as far as I can see. Nothing to press against at the back or centre unless you add your own concave. Although theres rocker, I can't tell how much.

TL;DR I dont think you could go wrong with either, the genesis is more of a blank canvas with aggressive rails and the fortune is more like a gentle radial with preset concave. Especially since its based on Switzer's original stacked grip concave mods anyway

I think in your case though, if you've used the misfortune and really like it's quote "strong concave", you'll probably find the normal fortune better suited to you than the genesis, which will be very different without concave modification

Thnx for help! After your answer I think, I will go for the fortune.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The genesis has w as well as micro drop and that's where your lateral lock comes from in the rear. I basically think of it as a vandal with rocker, relaxed flares,
    and w
    47* PNL plates, mismatched colors (gold/grey)-$35 ea/$65 pair shipped

Metalbee guards for clutch jerk v2, great shape- $15 shipped

Gunmetal 46* bp's- $15/pair shipped

Payback lobster 8.5 x 32.5, gripped, 9.5/10- $40 shipped

Rayne Genesis Dee-lite, Like new, SICK custom grip, pm for pics. Best offer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anacan View Post
    Hi there! I need to get a mini-cruiser for cruising and carving around campus, and I was wondering what recommendations you would have. any mini length should be good, and for width maybe on the wider side cause i wear 10.5 mens shoes. I am 6'2 and weigh 160 lbs. I want something with a kicktail please, and something thats comfortable to ride. Maybe the bustin spliff?
    Put the Landyachtz Tugboat on your shortlist too, it's basically a wider version of the Dinghy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_v88js4bg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubscrew View Post
    Put the Landyachtz Tugboat on your shortlist too, it's basically a wider version of the Dinghy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_v88js4bg
    True! Also the Ripple Ridge is heaps of fun and pretty versatile as far as short boards go. It's a bit longer but I'd still classify it as a mini tbh.

Sent from my Potato
    Live in Perth, Australia?
    Perth Longboarding Society - Facebook.com/groups/PerthLBS
    We organise local events for Perth skaters.
    Soda Factory Airotica FFF -- c. 165mm Ronins
    Nelson BatRay -------------- c. 150mm Ronins
    Tombalek Proto. Terrapin --- c. Arsenals 44°
    Loaded Bhangra ------------- Bear Gen5 852's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any such thing as a truly custom board builder out there?
    I've had a yearning for something real specific lately, and sadly the brand I wish made it most likely won't.
    There's drang, but with them, as with most any other builder I can think of, you're forced to start from one of their existing molds or shapes.
    They're calling that 100% custom, and I know they're capable of doing quality work, but in concept, that to me is about as custom as the customizer for vans- you can pick from an array of colors and materials, but you still need to pick an existing model as a jumping off point. If you want something that isn't a slip on, or a sk8-hi, or a chukka, well then it just sucks to be you.
    You don't have the opportunity to literally design/conceptualize something from the ground up.

A little bit beside the point, but add to that the fact that the one time I did deal with them, I did get a really unique and bomb proof deck that someone else might have loved, but they told me once it was already done and paid for "oh by the way, instead of 2 symmetrical kicks, we gave you one massive one and a rinky dink little nose you'll have to squint to see, so in short not very much about this deck is what you asked for, but you're still obliged to take it".
    Do I want to shell out another $250 on a scenario like that, just so I can then sell it for next to nothing because it wasn't what I wanted? No thanks.
    Looks like they're gearing up for some big things this year, and if they can make exactly what I want, how I ask for it, I'd love
    to give them my business again since the last deck I got was at least well made, but I don't really have any reason to be confident in that.

If I say "take x mold/shape, and give it x, y, and z specs/features", that is really cool to be able to do on the one hand.
    But on the other hand it's one thing to mash specs and features together in concept, and another thing altogether to actually get exactly what you want. And at that point, if you spend what a "fully custom" board costs, and end up with something other than exactly what you wanted, was it worth it over just getting whatever stock deck is closest to what you want? Rhetorical question, and I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Upwards of $200, just to be left still only half satisfied with the deck.

Sorry this post is extremely long especially for this thread, but I thought it would be better to leave here than to start a new thread devoted just to this topic.
    If anyone could point me in the direction of a handful of custom builders to look into, I'd be grateful.
    Or alternatively, if anyone knows of a few stock decks that may be obscure or I haven't heard of that are similar to what I'm looking for, I'd be grateful for those suggestions as well.

To put it as simply as possible, I love the earthwing team 33, but I wish it had a nose to match the tail. If one kick is fun, 2 is twice as much fun...logic, right?
    Something like that, or a smaller version of the more recent hightailer version.

36-37" length
    9-9.25" width, perhaps with a very small amount of symmetrical taper, maybe for instance 9.25 in the center, tapering to 9.125 at the trucks
    18.5-19.5" wheelbase
    1/4" of rocker (definitely no more, but a little less would suffice)
    Similar concave to the team33/raisin hell i.e. mellow elliptical with extremely mellow symmetrical w that fades out towards the trucks
    Very mild flares, perhaps a little less severe than the team, but the exact same would be fine too
    2 completely symmetrical, full size and fully functional, medium angled kicks
    Drilled to suit tkp's
    7 ply, light, snappy pop like a street deck

That about sums it up. If anyone knows of something similar or a builder that can make it happen, shoot
    Last edited by Liamt; 07-26-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Liamt View Post
    Is there any such thing as a truly custom board builder out there?
    I've had a yearning for something real specific lately, and sadly the brand I wish made it most likely won't.
    There's drang, but with them, as with most any other builder I can think of, you're forced to start from one of their existing molds or shapes.
    They're calling that 100% custom, and I know they're capable of doing quality work, but in concept, that to me is about as custom as the customizer for vans- you can pick from an array of colors and materials, but you still need to pick an existing model as a jumping off point. If you want something that isn't a slip on, or a sk8-hi, or a chukka, well then it just sucks to be you.
    You don't have the opportunity to literally design/conceptualize something from the ground up.

A little bit beside the point, but add to that the fact that the one time I did deal with them, I did get a really unique and bomb proof deck that someone else might have loved, but they told me once it was already done and paid for "oh by the way, instead of 2 symmetrical kicks, we gave you one massive one and a rinky dink little nose you'll have to squint to see, so in short not very much about this deck is what you asked for, but you're still obliged to take it".
    Do I want to shell out another $250 on a scenario like that, just so I can then sell it for next to nothing because it wasn't what I wanted? No thanks.
    Looks like they're gearing up for some big things this year, and if they can make exactly what I want, how I ask for it, I'd love
    to give them my business again since the last deck I got was at least well made, but I don't really have any reason to be confident in that.

If I say "take x mold/shape, and give it x, y, and z specs/features", that is really cool to be able to do on the one hand.
    But on the other hand it's one thing to mash specs and features together in concept, and another thing altogether to actually get exactly what you want. And at that point, if you spend what a "fully custom" board costs, and end up with something other than exactly what you wanted, was it worth it over just getting whatever stock deck is closest to what you want? Rhetorical question, and I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Upwards of $200, just to be left still only half satisfied with the deck.

Sorry this post is extremely long especially for this thread, but I thought it would be better to leave here than to start a new thread devoted just to this topic.
    If anyone could point me in the direction of a handful of custom builders to look into, I'd be grateful.
    Or alternatively, if anyone knows of a few stock decks that may be obscure or I haven't heard of that are similar to what I'm looking for, I'd be grateful for those suggestions as well.

To put it as simply as possible, I love the earthwing team 33, but I wish it had a nose to match the tail. If one kick is fun, 2 is twice as much fun...logic, right?
    Something like that, or a smaller version of the more recent hightailer version.

36-37" length
    9-9.25" width, perhaps with a very small amount of symmetrical taper, maybe for instance 9.25 in the center, tapering to 9.125 at the trucks
    18.5-19.5" wheelbase
    1/4" of rocker (definitely no more, but a little less would suffice)
    Similar concave to the team33/raisin hell i.e. mellow elliptical with extremely mellow symmetrical w that fades out towards the trucks
    Very mild flares, perhaps a little less severe than the team, but the exact same would be fine too
    2 completely symmetrical, full size and fully functional, medium angled kicks
    Drilled to suit tkp's
    7 ply, light, snappy pop like a street deck

That about sums it up. If anyone knows of something similar or a builder that can make it happen, shoot
    Contact Lew Ross at Fickle skateboards. He loves projects like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrat
    ..there's guys who suck or are dead because they committed outside their limits. Commit within your limits.
    Know your limits skate at the edge of them but within them and you will get better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schizopiano View Post
    Contact Lew Ross at Fickle skateboards. He loves projects like this.
    Thanks, I'd almost given up hope anyone would read that wall of text haha

Page 1673 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 673117315731623166316691670167116721673

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS