ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Community presence = degraded. Rebuild community?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    Well, you know what they say about assuming...

In any case, would it be possible to link some of the "Hi Kids, I'm A ____" threads over to Reddit? That might be a start to get some new traffic filtering over here...
    EVERY single one of those threads is very well linked to on reddit.

Edit:
    Or they used to be.
    They were at one point on the side bar right underneath the rules.

I'll figure out where they went.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/OtherPlanetsSkate

2. ADVERTISEMENT

A Heaping Helping Of Boner Pie Order of the 'Fish bucksaw87's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uluwatu View Post
    For the fish to continue to exist it will have to reinvent itself in some manner under which it retains the old guard, archives the important historical data, welcomes new skaters, limits the gingerbread, controls costs, and eliminates dangerous 3rd party content.
    Therein lie the problems. When SF first started, there were a glut of weird old dudes making forums online...this whole Web 2.0 thing was brand new and people were excited about it! People were seeing longboarding on TV and curious about it, so they turned to the Information Superhighway to find out more, and Silverfish was the place (along with NCDSA and Coast). The sport/activity/hobby slowly picked up steam, until 08 or 09 when the recession hit...people had a LOT more time on their hands, so the reaction was "Hey, making boards/trucks/wheels is easy, let's do this and make some money!" all the while, still being limited in online promotion (let's not forget that Facebook opened to the public in January 2009...before that, you needed a valid/approved .edu email address to sign up). Somewhere in there, Facebook, Reddit, and Instagram took over as peoples' one-stop-shops for information, with Web 2.0 and The Information Superhighway being replaced by the more formal-sounding Social Media. Toss in the collapse of the industry (people getting regular, big-kid jobs, and killing the grassroots board/truck/wheel companies), a decline in the hobby/activity/sport starting in 2012 and tapering off through 2015, and some malware and site instability, and the two bolded points above become elephants in the room. No new content generation equals no new page views...no page views equals no ad revenue...no ad revenue means that this behemoth of a site can't cover security or software upgrades...means more downtime...means less page views...means less ad revenue...means less security or software upgrades...ad infinitum.

Since the general internet trend over the past 5 years has been away from forums (I look at 3 other skateboard forums I used to frequent, all of which have completely folded) and to a broader, more generalized platform (Reddit, Facebook, Instagram), and that leads to the aforementioned downward spiral as well...less people looking at forums in general means less eyes on the site, ad revenue, etc.

I've made a ton of good friends on this site...Even though I've never met the guy, I do consider @MalakaiKingston to be a personal friend. I'd like to think that if I'm ever in his neck of the woods, I'd have a couch to sleep on...I know my couch is open to him. One of the only guys I've encountered online that I'd consider that way...and I'm on a bunch of forums. SFL was my first internet home, and it actually upsets me to hear that the site is in such dire straits. So, I'm inclined to do whatever I can as a user to keep this puppy afloat for as long as possible...I'd hate to see a for-sale site parked on this domain ever.
    yes, an uber-grippy, square-lipped slalom wheel IS the best for sliding
    Quote Originally Posted by xjason11x View Post
    Jeeze people weren't joking when they said the fish was rough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reddit, Facebook and, Instagram are the Wally worlds of the internet. Cancer to every city they hit while convenient.
    @bucksaw87 between is three nobody would have to buy new stuff except for minor hardware and wheels. They'll shut us down! Bearings would last forever and decks would be repaired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the general internet trend over the past 5 years has been away from forums (I look at 3 other skateboard forums I used to frequent, all of which have completely folded) and to a broader, more generalized platform (Reddit, Facebook, Instagram), and that leads to the aforementioned downward spiral as well...less people looking at forums in general means less eyes on the site, ad revenue, etc.
    The reason isn't because of more generalized platform, its because these places offer free hosting for communities.

Its not because these places or more popular, or more desirable, or better featured.
    Its because of costs that these places are where communities have moved to, and forums ( which are costly ) have died out.
    You don't have to pay a penny to create a new Subreddit, or a new facebook page.

But... I don't think thats going to last much longer.
    Making money through ads isn't the sustainable model it once was.
    Facebook has had to turn to selling user data, and I'm not sure thats done more than delay the inevitable. reddit cannot do that because it would be suicide for their model.

Anyone paying attention to Youtube knows that making money through ad monetization is becoming pretty ineffective, thats why almost universally channels have turned to patreon or sponsors to support their content.

I think though, in the next 5 years, users are going to become more used to the idea of the Internet not just being unlimited free content, and start to be more willing to pay for things they don't want to lose, otherwise things are going to start disappearing.
    Last edited by Chainmaillekid; 04-20-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe some of it is advertising just doesn't work anymore, at least not like it used to. That and the advertisement model hasn't changed significantly. If sites like YouTube put their foot down about it what would they do? Keep advertising to a dying medium and spend much more for less guaranteed views? They're idiotic to think I associated their diabetes in a can with the video of a guy making jokes, and that's assuming I watched the ad which I don't lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook has always monetized their users' information though...it's always been in their terms of service. The difference is that a site like Silverfish doesn't have nearly as much user data to sell to advertisers. If my rudimentary understanding of this sort of thing is correct, basically, we can help the site gain a little revenue by disabling AdBlock or MuBlock for this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I can't even use the site without all sorts of protective blocking on the PC

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalakaiKingston View Post
    This requires a response, I feel the 'fish was essential when longboarding was on the rise and helped the global community get established. I feel we succeeded in that and I am happy with the part we played.

That said, I feel that the 'fish still provides on its mission statement to promote longboarding, but now instead of an aggressive vanguard we are doing is passively. We have always been about information, and the information is there. It will be till the lights go out.

I feel bad that the site isn't what it could be or once was, but I acknowledge how things have changed I do respect deeply all of you that make the community.
    Amen.
    Thank you, Kai
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've spread the word on reddit at least that the site is malware free and safe to link to again.

So there's that.

I'll maybe do a write up of ideas we could use to improve the place community side, since we're not looking at making site changes.
    Last edited by Chainmaillekid; Yesterday at 01:53 PM.

What kind of person *are* you? Order of the 'Fish cawlin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My internet companions:

It is good to see care being taken about the future of the site. I've been completing a masters degree (and graduating in 13 days), while sneaking in some skate travels.

I was out west eating barbecue with Malakai last summer. We spoke about the future of the site. Basically, we've both romanticized it. The purpose always was to be a reference for new users. Fortunately for us, I think Malakai still has those rose-colored glasses on and is gonna keep this thing running as long as he can.

The skate universe is a much smaller being than it once was. And yet, it's still here. Social media will come and go, but the years of collective knowledge will persist here. I'm glad to see communities using us as a reference. This means we're serving our purpose, at some level.

The idea of Silverfish is much larger than the site itself. It always has been.

I'm grateful to the individuals who continue to contribute and my heart is with skate nerds every where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry I'm late to the party!

I'm not hip like you kids with your rock and roll and your 8 track tapes. I am on The Facebook, but know nothing of The Reddit.

I agree with a lot of what has been said, there is indeed a wealth of knowledge here and it goes back very far, even to brands that aren't around anymore. I'll also agree that friendliness has not always been at the forefront of Silverfish, something I have rallied against many times. Usually with the moderators recommendations.

The sport in general is actually pretty big, many more people ride than ever before. And the equipment market is huge and growing. Longboarding has achieved mainstream status for the most part. Fifteen years ago I'd have to explain what a longboard was, now my friends say "hey my kid wants one of those long skateboard thingys - you still make those?" You can find them at mass market stores these days, a sure sign of Mr & Mrs America's acceptance.

Silverfish really catered to the longboard community in the past, skaters would search The Google to find longboard sites and this was really the only good option, full of real skaters using products you didn't find at your local skate shop. That was really cool! And manufacturers used to come here for research and feedback on their products, also really cool. This was their target audience. But now you have a lot of casual skaters who aren't gear junkies like us and just wanna get a board and ride. So The Facebook and I guess The Reddit have taken some of that traffic - they're on FB anyway looking at their friend's pics, and they type in "longboard" and stuff pops up and there you go. That will be tough traffic to reclaim, the casual rider. Especially with a bitter atmosphere.

Newsflash: nobody likes to be told to use the search function, especially on their first posts. They just want info. Yes, "which wheels are best for sliding?" is a tough one to get through, but "search noob!!!" means one less member. The amount of effort it takes to be a d1ck is the same that it takes to just copy and paste a link to a thread that answers that question for them.

So how do we drive traffic back? Well, we can start by trying not to be d1cks - tall order even for me as douche juice runs in my veins. Is there a Silverfish Facebook page? Does Reddit have "pages"? Is there a Silverfish one? I think if a casual but maybe curious skater is on FB and goes to a Silverfish FB page with links to here, maybe they would visit and/or become a member. Or maybe there is a page and I'm talkin' out my a$$ - completely possible.

EDIT: okay, so there IS a Silverfish FB page. I'm even a member already - what a tool!! But it seems like there isn't a lot of action on there, should be multiple posts every day.

Anyway, those are my stupid points. Of course I'm on board to help in any way I can, Mal and Ebas know that

Cheers,
    Fatboy
    "I knew Joe Iacovelli; Joe Iacovelli was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Joe Iacovelli."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on not being a flaming douchenozzle. I'm trying really, really hard. If it weren't for the fact that I'm maintaining my sig line because it's got formatting that's now prohibited (grandfathered in), I'd take it out because the quote is a direct response to me being a complete and utter a$$hole to the member @xjason11xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS