ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to recover from a slide

Hey Guys,
    I started sliding recently and feel as if I have a good grasp on the Coleman Slide. My question is how do you know when and how to engage in a slide and then disengage in order to continue going downhill. I have searched for videos and etc but am still kinda unsure. As of right now I can do it some times but end up in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Brfighter; 08-02-2017 at 06:52 AM.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

A Heaping Helping Of Boner Pie Order of the 'Fish bucksaw87's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to recover from a slide

In a proper Coleman, your 'uphill' hand/arm/shoulder points to where the board is supposed to be going. I ride regular, so as I'm going down the hill, my left arm is 'downhill' and my right is 'uphill.' There's an old video on Youtube, dating from the 80's I think, with Cliff Coleman himself going through a tutorial on controlling your speed when going down a hill, if you care to look it up.

Anyway, I drop physically backwards to my left arm and essentially turn left to engage the slide. While I'm turning, I'm pointing downhill with my right arm, which guides the board to where I want it to be...from there, I'll disengage the slide in one of two ways: One way is pivoting around my left arm and planting my right arm in a switch toeside slide, or I'll swing my right arm back behind me, which will cause the board to straighten back out.
    yes, an uber-grippy, square-lipped slalom wheel IS the best for sliding
    Quote Originally Posted by xjason11x View Post
    Jeeze people weren't joking when they said the fish was rough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to be a bother:

Which way is the hill going?
    I'm having a hard time picturing your right arm pointing downhill, unless you mean outwards instead of "downhill", which i interpret to mean forward.

I'm working on slides, well tech slides, but mine just end ><', mostly because all of my attempts to continue going end up in fumbles ><'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackehart View Post
    Sorry to be a bother:

Which way is the hill going?
    I'm having a hard time picturing your right arm pointing downhill, unless you mean outwards instead of "downhill", which i interpret to mean forward.

I'm working on slides, well tech slides, but mine just end ><', mostly because all of my attempts to continue going end up in fumbles ><'
    Yes, downhill is forward. I can see 'outward' as well.

Lay thine peepers upon this video:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    In a proper Coleman, your 'uphill' hand/arm/shoulder points to where the board is supposed to be going. I ride regular, so as I'm going down the hill, my left arm is 'downhill' and my right is 'uphill.' There's an old video on Youtube, dating from the 80's I think, with Cliff Coleman himself going through a tutorial on controlling your speed when going down a hill, if you care to look it up.

Anyway, I drop physically backwards to my left arm and essentially turn left to engage the slide. While I'm turning, I'm pointing downhill with my right arm, which guides the board to where I want it to be...from there, I'll disengage the slide in one of two ways: One way is pivoting around my left arm and planting my right arm in a switch toeside slide, or I'll swing my right arm back behind me, which will cause the board to straighten back out.
    If I understood the first part correctly you plant your left hand and then when straightening out you plant your right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brfighter View Post
    If I understood the first part correctly you plant your left hand and then when straightening out you plant your right?
    Sometimes. Your right hand shouldn't touch the ground in a true Coleman slide...but, it's very easy to plant both hands at the halfway point of the slide, and use the momentum to carry on to a full 360.

A true, honest Coleman involves your left hand planting on the ground, then the board swings out in front of you. Use your hips and legs to pull the board back underneath you to roll away. In this sequence, your right hand shouldn't ever touch the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, What should I do if the same thing is happening but for a pre drift toe slide how do you counter that. I will post a video soon

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS